Max Borger, report on the Terezín Ghetto


Max Borger provides a detailed and extensive report on the Terezín Ghetto. He starts with his deportation from Ostrava in September 1942. He focuses on the living conditions, housing, food rations, and forced labor in the Ghetto. The report sheds light on daily life in Terezín, the illnesses, and the torture of prisoners. It depicts the prominent members of the Ghetto and how transports to the East were organized.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Czech
Text from page1

Borger Max, born 2. 8. 1901, residing in Mor. Ostrava is submitting the following report on the ghetto in Theresienstadt

At the beginning of September 1942, a report arrived at the Council of Elders in Mor. Ostrava from the division of Jewish resettlement in Prague, stating that about 4,000 Jews in the district of Mor. Ostrava, must move to the Theresienstadt Ghetto on September 20th in four transports containing roughly one thousand people that would depart every three days. During the first days of September, the so-called Circus, a group of Jews led by Robert Mandlera arrived in Mor. Ostrava from Prague. This group was charged by the headquarters in Prague to prepare the resettlement of all Jews from the small towns and villages of the Protectorate. We were told that we were allowed to take up to 50 kg with us and that this limit was not to be exceeded. This information didn’t correspond to reality, but it forced us to leave many valuable items behind, especially food, with our Czech friends. Large pieces of luggage, one per person, were taken by the transport section of the so-called Circus with the help of Jewish youths to a school building that was used for housing. From there, they were taken to the train. Each of us had to take our hand luggage, such as backpacks, bread boxes, or bags, by ourselves on the day of departure to barracks about 2 km away from the center of town. The dispatcher of the transports, SS Hauptscharführer Fiedler, forbade anyone from helping us. Nevertheless, in the evening before our departure we took the hand luggage to the apartment of a friend who lived about 100 m from the barracks. Several days earlier, the mattresses from Jewish apartments were taken to the barracks and used for sleeping. Food was prepared for people who were to be transported in the barracks as well.

On September 27th, I had to move to the barracks with members of my family, and from there we were to be taken to Theresienstadt. We had to hand over all of our valuable items, as well as our money and the key to our apartment, and sign a declaration that we were giving up our property and giving it to the resettlement fund. After taking care of these formalities, our citizenship identification cards were stamped with the word Ghettoisiert. Then, several times a day, we had to stand at roll call in the courtyard of the barracks, during which we had to hand over any eventual hidden valuable items, money, tobacco products, lighters under threat of very harsh punishments. These roll calls were led by the head of the circus, Robert Mandler, who treated us as if he were an SS man. The Jewish blood of this man was the only impediment to his becoming a member of the SS. He and his gang didn’t let that stop them from beating up Jews. When he arrived in Theresienstadt, Mandler was so warmly received by the Czechoslovak Jews that he had to be taken to the hospital with several broken ribs and other injuries. When he returned to his apartment, the ghetto leadership had to order the ghetto guards to stand guard in front of his apartment. Unfortunately, several months later, the gestapo appointed this scoundrel chief of the criminal police. On September 29th, we were loaded onto train cars under the supervision of the Schupo, all while the Schupo struck the men, women, and children. We traveled in train cars for people. Right after we set off, somebody died. We traveled with the corpse all the way to Theresienstadt.

On September 30, all of us from Ostrava arrived on the third transport to Theresienstadt. At the train station in Bohušovice we were awaited by SS members and protectorate policemen. The first thing we saw when we arrived at the train station was 2,000 elderly people, who were being loaded into cattle cars and deported to the east. A devastating sight. The SS shouted at them and mercilessly beat the old people. The assistant to the elder of the ghetto, ing. Zucker Otta and the head of the central secretariat Dr. Janowitz were present at the train station. We had to board in rows of four. Some of the old and sick people were loaded into

Text from page2

trucks and taken to Theresienstadt, but there weren’t enough vehicles for all of the old people and so many had to walk the 4 km long road from Bohušovice to Theresienstadt. The luggage remained at the train station and was taken during the day by the transportation section. Each of us had to carry their own hand luggage. At the train station, there were some so-called transport assistance girls there to help people carry their bags, but only a few of us used their help because we had been warned and told that not all the members of the transport team were reliable and honest. Unfortunately. We soon found out that this was true. We needed almost three hours to walk the 4 km, because some people would collapse again and again and we needed to wait for them for a long time. During the march to the ghetto, not only SS members were present, but also protectorate policemen, who made sure we walked slowly and were respectful to those who were tired. They allowed us to take frequent breaks. We finally arrived in Theresienstadt. The street that we walked down was completely devoid of people; it was deathly quiet. We later learned that people weren’t allowed to be out on the streets that the transports were walking on, or indeed even on the side streets, when the transports arrived and departed.

They led us to the courtyard of the Magdeburger Kaserne. We stood there and the so-called began, meaning that the policemen searched our luggage and pockets for contraband. They confiscated money, medicine, tobacco, lighters, matches, liquor, thermoses, pocket flashlights, and other items. When they took all of these things away from us, we were taken to the attic of the barracks. This room was requisitioned to house us. The attic, in which hundreds of people were already living, hadn’t been cleaned for years and so each movement no matter how slight released clouds of dust. There were no beds for sleeping and so we had no other option than to spread our blankets over the brick floor.

The next day, after a strict search, our larger luggage was returned to us. From many of the suitcases they confiscated not only contraband, but also a lot of food and clothing. These things were stolen, or as they said, geschleusst, by the Jewish members of the transportation section. We were lucky that we got back not only our hand luggage, but also our larger suitcases, even though they were made lighter because many transports, especially those from Austria and from the Reich had their baggage confiscated by SS members when they arrived. The people on those transports had only what they wore when they arrived and it took several months before they got wholly unsuitable replacements of what had been taken from them from the Jewish Council. As soon as we received permission to leave our dwelling place, the first thing I did was to search for my mother, who was transported four days before me with other residents of the Jewish old people's home from Mor. Ostrava. In Mor. Ostrava, we were told that the residents of the old people's home would also be housed in the old people's home in Theresienstadt, which would apparently be set up as best as possible. I asked a member of the ghetto guard, where I could find the old people's home. The guard stared at me in surprise and told me that there was nothing of the sort in Theresienstadt. In the central register, I finally found out my mother’s address. She lived in the dark and dirty attic of a private building together with several hundred other old people, without any of her luggage, without blankets, without pillows. On Hauptscharführer Fiedler’s order, everything was taken away still in Mor. Ostrava. Most of the old people lay on the dirty stone floor without straw mattresses. I asked the elder of the house if they could place my mother in a room, but he told me that there isn’t any free room anywhere in the entire house. When I gave him several cigarettes, not only was a space found, but a straw mattress as well. I then took a look around the house. In the rooms, closets, kitchens, and in the shop rooms, people lay on the floor on straw mattresses, most without them. In this house, which had around 28 rooms, there were

Text from page3

X00 1Note 1 : number unclear people. Similar conditions could be found in the other houses as well. I gradually found this out as I was looking for shelter for my family. I wandered from house to house, from one elder of the house to another, seeing the same thing everywhere: a house stuffed from the ground floor to the roof with people. Bed upon bed on the floors, the healthy lying close to the sick, the able to walk squeezed next to those who no longer could. There wasn’t any free space, any gaps, people had to crawl over one another when they needed to get from place to place. After a long search, when I’d almost given up all hope, I finally found by chance a small place for my people. A 12 sq. m. walk-through room without a window for 8 people. It was entered straight from the courtyard balcony, a room without a stove, without straw mattresses. About 50 people from the next room constantly walked through the room. Nevertheless, I was happy that I had found this room. Several days later, I managed to scrounge up two straw mattresses for my parents, a priceless jewel in those days. The barracks where the men and women conscripted to forced labor were placed was full as well. In the Sudetenkaserne barracks, for example, 400 men slept in each room on pallets with three bunks. Of the 11 Theresienstadt barracks, six were used as housing. Three, the Dresden, Hamburg, and Podmokly housed the women, and the Hannover, Sudetenkaserne, and riding barracks housed the men. In all of the barracks, the beds had three bunks. This is how about 50,000 Jews lived at the beginning of 1942 with the exception of children, who were better taken care of.

We had high officials in two groups: A and B. The gestapo selected the high officials for group A, and the Jewish elder decided who would be the high officials for group B. The high officials of group A were mostly baptized Jews and people with high and significant positions, such as generals, high officers of the corps, university professors, theater actors, and people who did good deeds for Germany. This group of high officials contained primarily Jews from the Third Reich and Austria and only a few from other countries. It is with great satisfaction that I can say that nobody from Czechoslovakia was among them. The high officials in group B were people who contributed to the Jewish cause. High officials in group A and B were placed in special houses and each had their own room together with their wives. Of course the Jewish elder, his deputies, and council members had superior housing in the Magdeburger Kaserne as well as in the so-called houses for high officials. These people lived two per room. Many other inhabitants of the ghetto received better places for themselves and their families for various reasons.

Apartments were allocated by the division that was called Raumwirtschaft. It was led by Dr. Karel Löwinger, a lesser lawyer from Karlovy Vary whose motto was he who greases, gets it. As a careful lawyer, he got a third person to collect for him.

For children and youths, special shelters were converted, which were organised by the Youth welfare department. This age group was indeed well taken care of. Children lived in large, bright, and airy rooms. They had their own kitchens, which cooked rather well and plentifully considering the circumstances. They also received the contents of care packages that could not be delivered to the addressee, and fruit, chocolate, condensed milk, etc.

Living conditions improved during the year 1943 primarily because of the transports but also because of the high number of deaths in the last months of 1942 and the beginning of 1943. The number of Jews decreased from around 60,000 to about 40,000. Also, in most homes, beds with three bunks just like those in the barracks were built. Nevertheless, there were 14 to 20 people per room depending on its size. It was 2 sq. m. per person. Until July 7th, 1942, Jews were housed only in the barracks, the men separately from the women. They could only leave the barracks when they went to work. Visits weren’t allowed. For months, couples lived in the same place without the opportunity of seeing one another.

Text from page4

If there was men’s work to be done in the women’s barracks, the men rushed to volunteer in order to see their wives at least for a few minutes or to have a brief conversation. Often, however, they were watched so strictly that one couldn’t take two steps away from one’s place of work, and they had to return to the barracks after many hours of hard work without seeing their wives. In May and June, the civilian population of Theresienstadt was evacuated and the emptied houses were given over to the Jews to live in. Theresienstadt was divided into 4 districts, each led by an elder who reported to the internal administration. Each district elder was given a civil servant to sort out housing. Each house was subordinate to the elder of the house, who was responsible for all of the work related to filling the occupancy of the house and had to take care of all the work on the house as well as the happiness of the house’s inhabitants.

When the houses were emptied, the ban on leaving the barracks was lifted and Jews could now move freely around the ghetto. Only two streets remained closed off to Jews, the so-called Aryan street, which the inhabitants of the surrounding area used when they walked through Theresienstadt and a street that led from the administrative building, i.e. from the center to the SS housing. Both streets were fenced off on both ends.

Since it relates to the housing conditions, I will say a few things about the food. Food for the inhabitants of the ghetto was cooked in five large kitchens. The bread was baked in two bakeries, and a portion was brought in from the outside. At first, the meals consisted of bread, soups made from kohlrabi, and bad potatoes. Later, the food improved. It was more varied, but the portions remained small and inadequate. Lunch was either potatoes, about 30 to 36 dkg with a tenth of a liter of beef stew or goulash, or roughly 24 dkg of noodles or bread crumbs, sometimes about 3 dkg of meat, or a little bit of millet mash or pearl barley. For dinner, about three times a week we received a thin soup, sometimes 30 dkg of potatoes for peeling, and other times black coffee. Daily bread rations were 35 dkg, those who worked long and hard received 50 dkg. We also received 60 dkg of margarine a week and 7 dkg of sugar, the workers an additional 2 dkg of margarine and 3 dkg of sugar depending on the group they were part of. Work productivity was not the only deciding factor. Once a week, we received one quarter of a liter of milk. Once in a very long while, we got a bit of marmalade or 3-4 dkg of smoked meat, sometimes a piece of triangular cheese or liver pate from a can. But this happened only rarely.

It’s easy to understand that this food left us very hungry. If you couldn’t procure any food, you went hungry. This was the case for the elderly and those who couldn’t work. Hunger, typhus, intestinal diseases, poor hygiene, housing conditions, and a lack of medicine claimed many victims among the old. During the last months of 1942 and first months of 1943, about 200 people died per day. Day and night on the streets of the ghetto, one could see hand-drawn carts carrying dead bodies to the death rooms. Despite their selfless work, the people who carted off the dead were not able to overcome the problems with moving the bodies and it often happened that corpses remained in crowded rooms for a day or two, or remained on stairways and front rooms. The dead were buried without a casket (in mass graves). Later, after the crematorium was built, they were burned and the ashes were buried. In 1943, the death rate went down because a health service was established. There were hospitals and rooms for the sick. In the last weeks, about 20 people died per day. The lower death rate can partly be explained by the fact that most of the elderly were either transported east or had already died.

A sad effect of our confinement was lice infestation, which shortly reached such a degree that it can safely be said that 70 to 80% of all ghetto inhabitants had lice. This was because, on the one hand, the housing spaces were terribly overcrowded, and on the other because there was a lack of washrooms.

Text from page5

The old and sick lay by the thousand on lice-infested beds, partly concentrated in special rooms inside houses, but there was such a small number of rooms in which there were people who were free of lice. For a long time, nothing seemed to help alleviate our suffering. Experts, chemists, and doctors met and debated what method of delousing was the best, but it took a long time before they decided. Each person thought their opinion was the best and most fair. Finally, something was done. In the Jägerkaserne barracks, people who couldn’t walk were disinfected, in the Hohenelber Kaserne those who could walk on their own were also disinfected. The way people were disinfected in the Jägerkaserne barracks was catastrophic. Older, weakened people, poorly dressed, had to be carried to the baths and back insufficiently covered. They came down with colds, got pneumonia, and died by the hundreds. People frequently returned still with lice to their rooms after they were deloused. Finally, there was a radical intervention. Homes were gradually emptied, filled with gas, during this time the inhabitants were washed, their clothes were disinfected, and only then did they return, deloused, to their clean apartments. Now everything depended on the elders of the houses to constantly check on the inhabitants of their houses, maintain the cleanliness of the bodies, clothes, and underwear, as well as beds, to prevent a new lice infestation. Another sad chapter of our time there was how the very elderly and sick people were treated, and there was a large number of them. These unfortunates had the worst housing. They lived in the worst rooms in the houses, and they were in the so-called old people's home in the riding barracks in large rooms on the ground floor whose small barred windows let practically no air or daylight into the rooms. They lay by the hundreds in these rooms, at the mercy of a retrained or wholly untrained staff. Care of the poorest was extremely humble. The medical staff took a cut of their already small food ration. Unfortunately, the ghetto leadership had no sympathy for the poorest, nor did it want to have any. It’s lamentable that many doctors and caretakers shared this sentiment.

On the one hand there were shortages, suffering, and hunger and on the other there was an entire group of ghetto inhabitants, and not a small one, that not only wasn’t poor, but actually had more of everything, including, food, delicacies, wine, liquor, tobacco, anything they wanted. They were employed in the various divisions of the economic administration, i.e. in the food warehouses, in the butcheries, bakeries, the kitchens, the package issuing office, etc. They stole at an unprecedented scale. In order to prevent theft, the Jewish administration established a special guard, such as the criminal police and supervisors in the kitchens. The result of this was that thefts actually increased, because the supervisors needed to be paid. Another group was the transport division, which received the contents of the luggage of the newly incoming transports. And then there were members of the deliveries division, who traded smuggled cigarettes and food. These people maintain close ties with Aryans and fraudulently smuggled out letters, which they didn’t do for free, of course. And then there was another group of intermediaries and those who bought up gold and other valuables. One can form an impression of the profits reaped by these tradesmen when one considers that a cigarette cost 30 to 35 crowns, and during the time when these fraudulent tradesmen were arrested and their money and cigarettes confiscated, the price of a cigarette rose to 80 crowns. These people not only could afford any food and drink, but their limitless funds allowed them to acquire the best apartments as well.

During our first night in Theresienstadt, we were woken by civil servants of the Jewish council, who called out names that they read off of paper rolls. I asked what was the meaning of this and was told that those whose names were called out were to be placed on the next transport east. Of the 1,000 Jews from Mor. Ostrava who arrived with me in Theresienstadt, more than half were placed on the transport and left three days later.

Text from page6

In October 1942, every third to fourth day, a transport containing thousands of younger and older left for the east. In the middle of October 1942, a gestapo order arrived from Berlin to take down the names of all people older than 65 years of age. The list was created in the administrative rooms of the Magdeburger Kaserne day and night. Old people were constantly being led to the Magdeburger Kaserne, where they had to stand for hours waiting for all formalities of the list to be dealt with. Then a new list was created in the SS rooms, where people had to stand for hours yet again, this time outside. After this list, the letter O (for Osten, or east) or T (for Theresienstadt) was written in the individual’s personal file. The letter T was noted down only for those who had influential friends among NSDAP members. When, however, the transport lists were put together, people with both Os and Ts were on them. When their registration was underway, an order came down that transports totalling 2,000 protectorate inhabitants aged 65 had to be put together, and that the first transport was to leave in three days, and the others every five to six days at the end of October. This report had the same effect as if a bomb had exploded. The mood in the ghetto is impossible to describe. It was a black day. It was rumored that these transports were being sent to Ostrov to an internment camp for officers from the 1914-1918 war, which would be turned into a ghetto for old people. I later learned that all of these transports, like the previous and subsequent transports, had gone to Auschwitz. The departing transports were once again searched (we called it geschleusst, and the rest of the prisoners’ remaining property was taken away.

On the day of departure, we saw old people who were still able to walk drag themselves through the ghetto to the barracks where the search (Schleusse) took place. Most were too sick and ill and had to be wheeled there on carts pushed and pulled by Jews. The dying were carted off to the barracks. Handled as if they were cheap sacks, the members of the administrative division dragged them from the carts. Jelínková of Vizovice and the Theresienstadt executioner Karel Fischer 2Note 2 : Adolf Fischer of Prague excelled at this job. The same thing was repeated when these unfortunate souls were transported to the train station. There, the poor people were loaded into cattle cars and cruelly tortured by the SS on duty. SS members weren’t the only ones to act this way. Some protectorate policemen imitated the behavior of the SS. The chief of police, captain Janeček, whose sadistic behavior was far worse than even that of the SS members, stood out in particular. Sometimes, the seriously ill died en route. Their corpses were loaded into the cars, because the gestapo’s number had to be adhered to at all costs. The luggage of the people on the transports was, if they couldn’t carry them themselves, hauled to the train station on carts by the transport division and loaded into the train cars. It would often happen that the camp commander or his deputy Hauptsturmführer Bergl would suddenly forbid the further loading of luggage, and so a large portion of the luggage simply stayed in Theresienstadt and a significant number of people on the transports left with only some or none of the luggage. This sad theater was repeated several times in the coming weeks, because, besides the tens of thousands of inhabitants from the protectorate, 10,000 elderly people from the Reich and Austria met the same fate.

Terror and fear of the transports to the east continued to plague us, because after short breaks new transports kept departing to the east. In the days before each wave of transports, people in the ghetto were fearful and angry. Whenever Hauptsturmführer Möse would arrive in Theresienstadt from Berlin, you knew that new transports were around the corner. Before the leadership officially announced them, people in the ghetto started to talk about the danger of the transports. Everywhere you looked were groups of scared, angry people. Unfortunately, that which we were scared of always transpired. New transports were always put together again. The transport councilors of the Jewish council met day and night and consulted the current prisoner files to decide who would be placed on them. The various divisions had the right to claim that some people were indispensable and therefore save them from the transports.

Text from page7

It’s hard to say whether it was always well deserving and indispensable public servants who got saved. It was entirely up to the council to decide who would be placed on the transport. Unfortunately, the reasons that influenced the council members weren’t always objective. In the so-called Schleusse it was the members of the transport leadership who moved people off the list for money and a good word. When the council met, crowds of terrified people tried to push their way into the courtyard of the Magdeburger Kaserne.

Everyone tried to find out something about their own fate, tried to deflect the danger coming their way based on relationships formed or other means. After negotiations that lasted for days and nights, the lists were finally put together and at night — only at night — slips with their names and the message that they would be transported were given to the people who were to be on the transports. On those nights, it was impossible to sleep. Everyone waiting to be summoned. In the barracks, they were delivered by the elders of the barracks, and in the apartments by the elders of the houses. The rolls with the list of the transported were delivered one by one, everyone waited anxiously whether the elders would come to their room and who would be next. To ratchet up the tension, the transport slips weren’t delivered all at once, but in stages. Until the transports departed, one could never be sure whether one wouldn’t be summoned, because someone was sick or knew how to pull some strings, some people were taken off of the transport lists and the council was in constant session up until the departure of the transports in order to select any eventual replacements. And so fear and anger took hold until the last minute and dissipated only once the train departed.

It’s difficult to describe the feelings of the elders of the houses, whose task it was to deliver the sad news to someone that they would be leaving. When I stepped into a room with a roll and turned the light on, people gazed at me wide-eyed and I read the question in their eyes: am I on them? And then the hardest part: preparing someone who was to be transported. Despair, wails, and tears broke out, especially when, as it often happened, families were torn apart, parents from children or siblings. There was nothing to be done but to make peace with your fate. Everyone got up and helped the person pack. Many summoned people tried a last ditch intervention at the Magdeburger Kaserne to reverse their fate or ran to the doctor to get a confirmation that he or she was unable to be transported. Few were successful. And then there was nothing to be done but to make your way to the search, to the train station, and then to the east.

For many days after the transports departed the mood remained uneasy. When nerves were somewhat calmed, the danger of new transports loomed once more. The number of transports finally went down in mid 1943, but the September and December 1943 and May 1944 transports carried five thousand people each from the ghetto.

In September 1944, the evacuation of the Theresienstadt ghetto began and by the end of October 1944 about 16,000 people were deported. When these transports were put together, Dr. Murmelstein, who, after the elder Dr. Epstein was arrested, took over the leadership of the ghetto, and his secretary Brochnik 3Note 3 : Prochnik distinguished themselves. Many head civil servants, who for whatever reason fell into disfavor with these men would soon find out exactly what that meant.

Camp commander Hauptsturmführer Rahm then publicly announced that a new work camp would be established close to Dresden. We were also told that only reliable people were allowed to be placed on this new transport. Those who had already been punished were not allowed on it. 5,000 men were supposed to leave to go to the new camp. The head of the central secretariat, Ing. Otto Zucker, was to lead the new camp. The head of the economic division, Schliesser, was assigned to him and his task was to deal with the economic matters connected with the establishment of a ghetto. The gestapo promised the wives and closest relatives of those who were supposed to leave that they would be protected and not be placed on the transports. In the meantime, the first transport carrying 1,500 men left, and with it Ing. Zucker and Schliesser. Three days later, Dr. Murmelstein issued a proclamation stating that the camp commander was allowing 500 women to go

Text from page8

to their husbands on the third transport together with the men. It was said that this was a singular opportunity that was offered to the women by the gestapo, and that they should volunteer by 6 pm. After this deadline, they would no longer be accepted. Meanwhile, the second transport departed with 1,500 men. The women were to leave on the third transport. However, since only 500 women volunteered, the transport council topped up the number and placed the women as it saw fit.

The third transport was put together. I was also placed on it together with my wife. We traveled on passenger cars accompanied by the SS and the Schupo. It was rumored that we were going to the Reich to a new camp close to Dresden. We totalled 1,000 men and 500 women. We arrived in Dresden, but continued on, and when we got to Görlitz, we realized that everything that the gestapo told us were lies as usual. We weren’t going to a new labor camp, but to Auschwitz. We arrived there after a 36 hour ride. We had to leave all of our luggage on the train. Right after we disembarked we were separated from the women, and never heard from them again. Then Obersturmbannführer Mengele, a doctor, conducted the selection. Out of 1,000 men, only 462 arrived in the camp, the others, as we later learned, went to the gas chambers. From October 30th until the day we were taken to Buchenwald, about 16,000 Jews from Theresienstadt arrived in Auschwitz, 70% of whom were immediately taken to the gas chambers. I don’t know whether more transports left from Theresienstadt after that and I also don’t know whether all of the Jews were evacuated from Theresienstadt.

But let’s return now to Theresienstadt:

The leadership of the ghetto belonged to the service post of the SS that was in Theresienstadt. The commander was SS Hauptsturmführer Dr. Seidl, his deputy was camp inspector SS Hauptsturmführer Bergl. Guarding it was given over to the protectorate police division led by first lieutenant of the police Janeček. The elder of the ghetto and the council of elders were responsible for carrying out the orders of the gestapo. The elder of the camp during my time there was Jakob Edelstein, his deputy ing. Zucker. In reality, the council of elders was a mere decoy because it wasn’t able to make decisions about anything. During their sessions, members were only told which orders for the ghetto elder were from the post of the SS (Dienstelle) and what to do to fulfil these orders. They didn’t vote, all the council of elders had to do was to take the relevant orders into consideration. Without permission, neither the ghetto elder nor any member of the council of elders were allowed to go to the so-called Dienststelle in regard to any matter. The only exception was Dr. Löwenstein. This baptized Jew, a former German active officer, arrived from Minsk in 1943 where he was the head of the local Jewish ghetto police, and was placed in the Small Fortress of Theresienstadt (concentration camp). After a short stint in jail he was assigned to the ghetto as the commander of the guards based on the orders of the Berlin gestapo. In his first days he was presented to the SS commander of the ghetto by the elder, but in a short while he was able to get there by himself without the elder. It was learned that Dr. L. was acting as an informer. He would show up without an invitation and without being asked, even to wholly private meetings in order to spy. A struggle over him broke out immediately, but it was exceedingly difficult to do anything about it. Only if he went against the explicit wishes of the SS leader and did something to benefit the elders would it be possible to accuse him of dishonesty while carrying out his duties, charge him, and remove him from his post. Until then, he was constantly monitored by the Jewish criminal police.

In 1943, the Berlin elder of the Jews arrived in Theresienstadt, and former Rabbi Dr. Murmelstein from Vienna, and on the orders of the Reich’s commissioner for carrying out the final solution to the Jewish question the leadership was changed. The elder became Dr. Epstein, the 1. deputy Edelstein, the 2. deputy Dr. Murmelstein. Unlike Edelstein, who, if it were possible under the circumstances, acted on his own initiative and at each opportunity attempted to get the SS leadership to agree to reliefs for the Jews of Theresienstadt and who sometimes didn’t carry out orders that were unfavorable to Jews, Dr. Epstein announced ahead of time that he would 100% fulfil any order that the SS would give him. This wasn’t very pleasant for us.

Text from page9

We hadn’t heard anything good about Dr. Murmelstain. In Vienna, he was a toady for the gestapo, blindly followed all of the orders he was given and even more to get into the gestapo’s good graces. He was also brutal and even, as eyewitnesses report, beat the workers of the religious community in Vienna.

Life in the ghetto was controlled by regulations and the order that was issued by the gestapo. Besides this order, a whole series of prohibitions were in place. For example, it was forbidden to have money, gold, valuables, tea, coffee, tobacco, and smoking was also banned. It was forbidden to have contacts with Aryans and be in any kind of written touch with people outside of the ghetto. Writing in general was strictly forbidden and breaking this order was punished by death. For this offence, on the orders of the camp commander Dr. Seidl, 9 Jews, most of them young, were executed on January 10th, and 7 on February 26th. The entire population had to watch the execution on the orders of the ghetto commander. Karel Fischer, by trade a butcher from Prague, carried out theexecutions. He was also a servant of the dissecting room of the German medical faculty of the university in Prague. All sixteen who were sentenced to death died as heroes. When they were led to the scaffold they swore at the SS and spat on them. Only one of them cried and called out before the execution I didn’t do anything wrong, I only wrote to my mother. Other offenses were punished by jail terms and being shipped out on the next transport, or being transferred to the small fortress (concentration camp) Theresienstadt. I find it pointless to report on the SS’s methods of interrogation, because these methods are known all around the world. All methods were used, from beatings to burnings with hot iron, from suffering to all kinds of cruelty that could only have emerged from the brains of the SS. Hauptsturmführer Bergl, who was almost always present during interrogations, excelled in particular. This doesn’t mean that other camp commanders would not have actively participated in the interrogations. During three and a half years, I came to know three of them:

These were Dr. Seidl, Burger, and Rahm. For example, during an interrogation, Hauptsturmführer Rahm broke three chairs over the head of one offender. Let us also remember Scharführer Heinl, who was extremely unpleasant during interrogations and otherwise and didn’t lag behind the others in his brutality.

Despite all of the restrictions and strict punishments, Jews maintained active relations with the Aryans. Most of the Czech policemen in Theresienstadt brought food and cigarettes to the ghetto, and snuck letters out. I must note that most of the policemen treated us very well. Contacts with Jews and fraudulent transport, when they became known, had very unpleasant consequences for the policeman for he was arrested immediately. Nevertheless, most of them didn’t let it stop them and they supported us. But there were also some very unpleasant men among the police, who rivalled the SS in their treatment of the Jews, such as the previously mentioned first lieutenant Janeček, the constable Ulmann, lieutenant Hasenkop 4Note 4 : Hasenkopf, and Hašek. If the first lieutenant Janeček caught a policeman in conversation with a Jew, then all Jews were beaten and denounced to the SS just like the policeman. Almost all Aryans who were sent to work in the ghetto, like the railway workers who rode to Bohušovice and the civilians who came into contact with Jews due to work, brought us food and cigarettes. The Aryan coach drivers who removed garbage from the ghetto smuggled in food for us. Sudden unannounced searches in the barracks were often helped by the policemen and ghetto guards. Searches were conducted by SS members. Sometimes they happened during the day, sometimes at night. Some forbidden items were always found. We knew that almost all of these searches were conducted based on denouncements by Jews, we knew that informers could be found among the members of the former Jewish police of Vienna who previously collaborated with the Scharführer Heinl, but we almost never safely found out who the perpetrators were.

Text from page10

The arrests and the interrogations, during which the investigated were reluctant to divulge the names of the Aryans they were in contact with, were accompanied with the toughest torture. Some collapsed during these terrible interrogations and named their suppliers who were usually Jews as well as Aryans. This was followed by new arrests, new interrogations, and yet more arrests. Every day brought newer and ever more unpleasant surprises. One day was never like another. For example, in November 1942, a punishment was meted out upon the entire ghetto for spitting and throwing paper out on the street: no walks for four weeks, no street lighting. On the orders of Dr. Seidl. In September 1943, several hundred children from Bialostok whose parents were murdered by the Nazis arrived in Theresienstadt. They were housed in the barracks outside of the ghetto and the ghetto inhabitants were forbidden to have any kind of contact with them under pain of punishment. Jewish doctors and nurses had been sent to the house a day earlier, they were strictly forbidden from meeting anyone in the ghetto. And they truly never met anyone. The children were led by the large SS guard to the delousing bath in the ghetto. The sight was heart wrenching. A line of scared, shy children, dirty, downtrodden, and terribly starved. Terrible scenes took place in front of the bath. Children were unwilling to enter the bath and constantly shouted Nicht, nicht, gas. (No, no, gas.). Only once I got to Auschwitz myself did I understand why the children had been so scared. The Jewish doctors and caretakers had a hard time calming the children down and getting them to the baths. Then the children were clothed in new clothes and an order arrived that they were to be specially and plentifully fed. It was said that these children were to be exchanged and would be transported through Turkey to Palestine. Several weeks later, these children were indeed sent with the doctors and caretakers without allowing any of them the possibility of saying goodbye to any of their people. I later learned that all of the children together with their entire staff were sent to Auschwitz and gassed. In November 1942, the camp leadership ordered a census of the entire population. It was held on November 10th in the Bohušovická hollow. Except for the seriously ill, who were then concentrated into two barracks together with newborns and their mothers and counted there, everyone had to come out with their children and strollers and march at six in the morning to the Bohušovická hollow. They stood outside all day and were counted over and over again. A whole flock of gestapo came to Prague for this very purpose. It was winter, raining, and snowing, and we froze considerably. It was getting dark and we were getting ready to stand outside all night. Just then an order came to return to the ghetto. It was completely dark when we began marching back.

In May 1944, we were crushed by the news that Jakob Edelstein and many leading civil servants of the ghetto were arrested. It was said that they were arrested for mistakes they made when they put together the transports in November 1942. Some changes had been made to them at that time, but it happened with almost every transport that people who could either bribe or use their contacts were taken off the transports at the last minute. But Edelstein didn’t coordinate these changes. He was simply made responsible for all of the mistakes that the civil servants made. After several days in jail, he was taken to Auschwitz with all of the other arrested people and there, as I later learned, imprisoned for a time in the bunker and then shot. I was told that his wife and small child shared his fate.

Another phenomenon that was a daily occurrence must be mentioned. It was the so-called ladybirds. These were women from the National Socialist People's Welfare organization from Litoměřice, who, accompanied by policemen, ghetto guards, and the women’s criminal police would enter the women’s barracks and into block in order to requisition. The people living in the rooms in which the ladybirds were conducting their activity had to leave the rooms and their business began. Everything in the rooms was turned over, turned upside down, and they collected whatever they liked and whatever they found. When they left the rooms and the inhabitants returned again, it took several hours before everything was back together again.

Text from page11

To my report on everyday affairs, I’d like to say something about the employment of the inhabitants of the ghetto: every woman and every man were put to work immediately after their arrival to the ghetto. Everyone had to, before being issued a permanent job either in the administration or work doing manual labor for a time in a group of one hundred. Those who were organized into a group of one hundred were issued work everyday. Women generally cleaned, and men did jobs of all types. Each had the option to sign up for the job they thought they were best suited for. They could submit their curriculum vitae to the relevant division and if the head of the division thought that the applicant could be employed, he requested the central labor office to grant the applicant the job at the relevant division. As soon as the labor office released the applicant from this current employment, the request was sent to the personnel division, which had to approve the position. Only this approval was the final and valid one.

The individual divisions of the ghetto were:

The internal administration: Administration of houses and barracks

The guards of the ghetto

The criminal police

The post office

The central registry

The so-called Raumwirtschaft dealt with ghetto housing

Economic division: Procuring food, supervision over the kitchens, agriculture, bakeries.

Construction division: Maintaining and fixing residential housing

Installation division: Installing pipes and establishing water mains, equipping baths

Financial division

Transport division

Labor office


In Theresienstadt, all types of trades and all kinds of workshops dedicated to them could be found. Besides this, men worked as street sweepers, gutter cleaners, corpse bearers, and worked in shafts. Women mostly arranged rooms, worked as nurses, and in colonies of cleaning ladies for the barracks and houses. One of the most important divisions was the installation division. People from this division had to install an entire network of water mains in the town, which had up to now provided for the normal usage of water from wells for about 5,000 inhabitants. Engineers and workers worked without stopping and they actually managed to hook up almost every house to the water supply system in a short amount of time. In many houses flushing toilets were installed and washrooms and showers were equipped. In a short time, Jews also built the track from Bohušovice to Theresienstadt. Except for work in the ghetto, there was work to do for the SS and for the Germans. For the SS, it was mostly agricultural work,which employed about 1,200 people, mostly women. Then there was the work on the small fortress that was carried out by roughly twenty men. This commando was undoubtedly the worst because the SS who were in the small fortress would constantly beat these people. The divisions that was under the control of the Germans and under the direct supervision of the SS were the following: the manufacture of crates, the dressmaker’s, the uniform maker’s, cleaner’s, chambers (so-called Bekleidungskammer) i.e. a clothing warehouse, the applied arts division. In these divisions, 3,000-3,500 were employed, mostly women.

In the chambers in which mostly women were employed, the luggage was opened and confiscated from those who had arrived and their contents was sorted. Clothes, shoes, undergarments, everything was divided into three groups. Groups I and II were sent to the Reich, things in group III, i.e. things that were basically unusable were given over to the Jewish administration. Jews were clothed in things from these. Supervision was the purview of the SS and the police, as well as the women who worked for the gestapo, who carried out body searches on the women, when they left their workplaces. Sometimes the women needed to take all of their clothes off. They were also supervised by the overseer women of the Jewish criminal police. It must be said that these female overseers were often more pleasant than the German women. Mrs. Saša Braunová, an emigrant from Germany who lived for a long time in Prague and Mor. Ostrava distinguished herself as an informer.

Text from page12

The SS allowed the large number of artists in Theresienstadt to take over the agenda of entertaining during the population’s free time. There were active artists of all disciplines. Opera, opereta, oratoria, symphonies, solos, chamber music, cabarets. At the beginning, this entertainment took place in the large hall of the Magdeburger Kaserne. Later, a concert hall in the town hall as well as the cinema and school hall in the Sports grounds were also used. There were also various performances in the attics of the various houses that were especially adjusted for these purposes. With the simplest and primitive resources, some very wonderful results were achieved. These performances were a ray of light in the grey drabness of our existence in Theresienstadt. Sports of all kinds were practiced, especially football. Proper races were attended by thousands of viewers, and policemen and SS members came to watch them in secret. In 1945, a concert coffee house was established and organized by the trumpet band that played on the town square every day. The latter, as well as the grocery store and two clothing stores, whose only goods were displayed in their display windows, borrowed from warehouses, were established only because of the awaited committee from a neutral foreign country. After a few months, the beautification of Theresienstadt was carried out. On the Main Square, lawns and roses were planted. Houses were fixed, painted anew, curtains were hung on windows, but only those facing the street that the committee would be walking down on. The number of inhabitants of the houses was decreased and the third bunk was removed from the beds. Entire homes were emptied out, new furniture was moved in, curtains were hung in every window, in each room a family with at most three members were brought to live. For the Danes, special housing was quickly arranged and made ready since the families had to move into them in only several hours. In short, we built a Potěmkin Village. We tried to show the committee that Jews in Theresienstadt have beautiful housing and are extremely well taken care of. On the day that the committee was in Theresienstadt, we received the best food and twice as much of it as usual. The Third Reich shall not let the Jews starve. But not sooner had the committee left Theresienstadt than the Danes were ordered to vacate the once again made pretty apartments and move back to their former lodging. The only thing that remained there were the curtains in the windows. Before the visit of the committee, a propaganda film was made. For the movie, large signs were placed on the front of the stores, coffee house, and bank. Large events, such as sports races, an outside cabaret, and a concert on the main square were organized. Jews had to participate in great numbers. All business stopped just so the employees could participate, even factories working for the wartime production had to send their people. But it was the beginning of the end. Soon afterwards, the evacuation of the ghetto that I previously submitted a report about began in earnest.

Copied from the original.

Submitted to the Documentation campaign by Mr. Max Munk, Uherské Hradiště.

Accepted on behalf of the Documentation campaign by: Scheck

Accepted on behalf of the archive: Tressler

Text from page1

Borger Max, nar. 2. 8. 1901, bytem v Mor. Ostravě podává následující zprávu o ghettu v Terezíně

Počátkem měsíce září roku 1942 došla radě starších v Mor. Ostravě z ústředí pro židovské přesídlení v Praze zpráva, že Židé okresu Mor. Ostrava v počtu asi 4000, musí býti ve čtyřech transportech po přibližně tisíci lidech, v odstupech tří dnů, počínaje dnem 20. září přestěhovány do terezínského ghetta. Již v prvních dnech zářijových došel z Prahy do Mor. Ostravy tak zvaný Zirkus, skupina Židů za vedení Roberta Mandlera. Tato skupina připravovala z příkazu ústředí v Praze ve všech venkovních městech protektorátu stěhování Židů. Bylo nám sděleno, že smíme ze zavazadel vzíti s sebou nanejvýše 50 kg, že tato váha nesmí býti překročena. Tato informace neodpovídala skutečnosti, ale donutila nás k tomu, že jsme našim českým známých zanechali hodně cenných předmětů obzvláště poživatin. Velká zavazadla, a sice po jednom kufru pro každou osobu, byla dopravena transportním oddělením takzvaného zirku za pomoci židovské mládeže do školní budovy, která byla určena pro kasernování. Tam odsud pak byla dopravena k vlaku. Zavazadla ruční a sice batoh, chlebník, brašnu, musel každý odnésti v den nástupu do kasáren, které byly vzdáleny asi 2 km od středu města. Výpravčí transportů, SS Hauptscharführer Fiedler zakázal poskytnouti jakékoliv pomoci. Přes tento zákaz dopravili jsme večer před odchodem ruční zavazadla lidí do bytu známého, který bydlel ve vzdálenosti asi 100 m od kasáren. Již o několik dnů dříve byly matrace z židovských bytů dopraveny do kasáren a upraveny tak možnosti ku spaní. Vařeno bylo pro účastníky transportu v kasárnách.

Dne 27. září musel jsem se se členyrodiny přestěhovati do kasáren, odkud jsme měli býti dopraveni do Terezína. Veškeré cenné předměty, jakož i peníze, jsme museli stejně jako klíč z bytu odevzdati, a podepsati prohlášení, že se vzdáváme veškerého našeho jmění ve prospěch vystěhovaleckého fondu. Po vyřízení těchto formalit byla naše občanská legitimace opatřena razítkem Ghettoisiert. Několikráte za den museli jsme pak nastupovati na dvoře kasáren k apelu, při čemž jsme byli pod pohrůžkou nejtěžších trestů vyzíváni případně uschované cenné předměty, peníze, kuřivo, zapalovače odevzdati. Tyto apely prováděl vedoucí zirkusu Robert Madler, který se vůči nám choval, jak esesák. Jedině židovský původ tohoto člověka byl překážkou, že se sám nestal členem SS. Jak on, tak i jeho banda nedali se od toho odstrašiti, aby tloukli Židy. Při svém příjezdu do Terezína byl Mandler československými Židy tak láskyplně přijat, že musel býti s několika zlomeninami žeber a jinými ránami dopraven do nemocnice. Když se pak vrátil do svého bytu muselo vedení ghetta naříditi stráži ghetta, aby postavili k jeho ochraně stráž před jeho bytem. Bohužel byl pak o několik měsíců později tento darebák z příkaz gestapa pověřen vedením kriminální policie. Dne 29. září byli jsme pod dozorem Schupo naloženi do vagonů, při čemž Schupo tloukla hlava nehlava muže, ženy a děti. Jeli jsme ve vozech osobních. Ihned na počátku cesty jsme měli jedno úmrtí. Mrtvolu vezli jsme až do Terezína.

Dne 30. září přijeli jsme Ostraváci třetího transportu do Terezína. Na nádraží v Bohušovicích byli jsme očekáváni členy SS a protektorátními četníky. První pohled, který se nám naskýtal na nádraží byla podívaná na přibližně 2000 starých lidí, kteří byli nakládání do dobytčáku pro přepravu na východ. Obraz zdrcující. Nakládáni byli za největšího řvaní SS, kteří nemilosrdně tloukli staré lidi. Na nádraží byli přítomni zástupce stařešina ghetta, ing. Zucker Otta a vedoucí ústředního sekretariátu Dr. Janowitz. Museli jsme nastoupit ve čtyřstupu. Část starých chorých lidí byla naložena na ná

Text from page2

kladní auta k přepravě do Terezína, žel nebylo pro všechny staré dosti vozů, tak že mnozí z nich museli nastoupiti 4 km dlouhou cestu z Bohušovic do Terezína pěšky. Zavazadla hrubá zůstala na nádraží a byla během dne odvezena dopravním oddělením. Zavazadla ruční musel si každý nésti sám. Na nádraží byly sice dívky takzvané dopravní pomoci, aby byly nápomocny při nošení zavazadel, ale jen málokdo si dal pomoci, neboť jsme byli varováni a upozorněni na to, že mezi členy dopravního družstva nejsou vždy lidé nejspolehlivější a nejpoctivější. Žel. správa tato byla, jak jsme během času mohli zjistiti, odůvodněná. Na urazení cesty asi 4 km dlouhé potřebovali jsme téměř tři hodiny, protože se někteří účastníci vždy znovu hroutili a bylo třeba na ně dlouho čekati. Poznamenávám, že za pochodu do ghetta nebyli přítomni členové SS, nýbrž jen protektorátní četníci, kteří dbali pomalého tempa a brali ohled na ty, kteří byli unaveni. Dovolovali nám častěji, abychom si odpočinuli. Konečně dostali jsme se do Terezína. Ulici, jimiž jsme šli, byly úplně liduprázdné, vládl v nich příšerný klid. Jak jsme se později dozvěděli, nesměl se na příchodu a odchodu transportů nikdo zdržovati ani v ulicích, jimiž se transporty ubíraly, ani v ulicích přilehlých.

Byli jsme přivedeni na dvůr magdeburských kasáren, tam postaveni a nyní začalo tak zvané Schleussen, to znamená, že četníci prohledávali naše zavazadla a kapsy na kontrabant. Zabavovány byly peníze, léčivo, kuřivo, zapalovače, sirky, lihoviny, termosky, kapesní svítilny a mnohé jiné. Když nám bylo takto ulehčeno, byli jsme zavedeni na půdu kasáren, kterážto místnost nám byla přikázána za obydlí. Tato půda, na níž již bydlely stovky lidí, nebyla již po léta čištěna a každý pohyb rozvířil mraky prachu. Lůžek ku spaní ovšem nebylo a nezůstalo jiné možnosti než rozprostříti naše pokrývky na cihlové dlaždice.

Příštího dne byla nám po přísném prohledání vrácena naše velká zavazadla. Z mnohých kusů zavazadel nebyla vybrána pouze takzvaná kontrabanda, nýbrž také hodně poživatin a oděvů. Tyto věci byly odcizeny, říkali tomu geschleusst, židovskými členy přepravního oddělení. Měli jsme ještě štěstí, že jsme dostali, jak ruční zavazadla, tak i veliké kusy, byť po značném odlehčení, neboť mnohým transportům obzvláště z Rakouska a z Reichu byla zavazadla po příchodu zabavena členy SS. Lidem z těchto transportů zůstalo právě jen to, co měli oblečeno a trvalo to měsíce, než-li se jim dostalo od židovské samosprávy zcela nedostatečné náhrady za to, co jim bylo odňato. Jakmile se nám dostalo povolení opustiti naše obydlí, byla první má cesta hledati moji matku, která již o čtyři dny dříve než-li já byla odvezena s ostatními členy židovského starobince z Mor. Ostravy. V Mor. Ostravě nám bylo řečeno, že osazenstvo starobince bude také v Terezíně umístěno ve starobinci, který prý je co nejlépe zařízen. Ptal jsem se člena ghettové stráže, kde se nalézá starobinec. Strážník se na mě udiveně podíval a prohlásil, že v Terezíně takového zařízení vůbec není. V ústřední evidenci jsem se konečně dověděl adresu mé matky. Bydlela na tmavé špinavé půdě soukromé budovy spolu s několika sty jiných starých lidí, bez zavazadel, bez přikrývek, bez polštářů. Vše bylo již v Mor. Ostravě na příkaz Hauptscharführera Fiedlera odebráno. Tito staří lidé leželi většinou bez strožoků na ušpiněných kamenných dlaždicích. Poprosil jsem stařešinu domu, aby moji matku umístili v nějakém pokoji, prohlásil mi však, že v celém domě nemá volného místečka. Když jsem mu však dal několik cigaret, pak našlo se nejen volné místo, nýbrž také strožok. Prohlédl jsem si pak celý dům. V pokojích, komorách, kuchyních, v obchodních místnostech, leželi jedni na strožocích, většinou však bez nich, lidé na podlaze. V tomto domě, o přibližně 28 místnostech bylo umístěno

Text from page3

X00 1Note 1 : číslo nečitelné lidí. Podobné byly poměry také v domech ostatních. Přesvědčil jsem se o tom, když jsem o několik dnů později hledal přístřeší pro svoji rodinu. Putoval jsem od domu k domu, od jednoho stařešiny domu k druhému, všude stejný obraz: dům napěchován od přízemí až po střechu lidmi. Na podlaze lože vedle lože, těsně vedle sebe leželi zdraví vedle chorých, chůze schopní vedle takových, kteří již choditi nemohli. Nebylo volného místečka, nebylo žádných mezer, lidé museli lézti jeden přes druhého, když se chtěli dostati z místa na místo. Po dlouhodenním hledání, když jsem se už chtěl vzdáti veškeré naděje, našel jsem konečně náhodou místečko pro moje lidi. Průchodný pokoj, bez okna, o ploše přibližně 12 m čtvereč., pro 8 lidí. Vchod přímo z pavlače, místnost bez kamen, bez strožoků. Za to však procházelo asi 50 lidí z vedlejší místnosti stále pokojem. Přesto jsem byl šťasten, že jsem našel alespoň tuto místnost. Po několika dnech podařilo se mi ukořistiti dva strožoky pro mé rodiče, v oné době neocenitelný poklad. V kasárnách, v nichž byli umístěni muži a ženy pracovní služby byl obraz podobný, vše přeplněno. Tak spalo například v sudetských kasárnách 400 mužů v každém sále na kavalcích, které byly umístěny ve třech patrech. Z 11 kasáren Terezína bylo použito šesti pro účely ubytování a sice tři, drážďanská, hamburská a podmokelské pro ženy, hanoverské, sudetské a jezdecké pro muže. Ve všech kasárnách byly lože o třech patrech. Takovýmto způsobem bydlelo počátkem října 1942 asi 50.000 Židů, s výjimkou prominentních a dětí, o které bylo lépe postaráno.

Měli jsme prominenty dvou skupin: A a B. Kdo byl prominentem skupiny A, určovalo gestapo, prominenty skupiny B ustanovoval stařešina Židů. K prominenci A náleželi předně pokřtění Židé, pak lidé vyšších, významnějších pozic, např. generálové, vysocí důstojníci štábu, univerzitní profesoři, komorní herci a lidé, kteří měli nějaké zásluhy o němectví. Do této skupiny prominentů patřili předně Židé říšskoněmečtí a rakouští, zcela ojediněle i z jiných zemí a se zadostiučiněním mohu konstatovati, že takřka ani jediný z ČSR. Mezi prominenty skupiny B byli také takoví, kteří se zasloužili o židovství. Prominenti skupiny A či B byli umístění ve zvláštních domech a měli pro sebe a ženu zvláštní pokoj. Samozřejmě byli také skvěle ubytování stařešina Židů, jeho zástupce a členové rady a sice v magdeburských kasárnách a částečně v takzvaných domech prominentů. Tito lidé měli po dvou místnostech. Kromě toho byla celá řada obyvatel ghetta, kteří se svými rodinami z nejrůznějších důvodů byli lépe umístěni.

Byty přidělovalo oddělení zvané Raumwirtschaft. V jeho čele stál Dr. Karel Löwinger, menší advokát z Karlových Varů, který se řídil podle starého hesla, kdo maže, ten jede. Co opatrný advokát dával však inkaso prováděti osobou třetí.

Pro děti a mladistvé byly zřízeny zvláštní útulky, které byly podřízeny péči o mládež. O tuto skupinu bylo skutečně postaráno vzorně. Děti bydlely ve velkých, světlých, vzdušných místnostech. Měly své vlastní kuchyně, v nichž bylo za daných poměrů vařeno poměrně dobře v hojnosti. Kromě toho dostávali obsah došlých balíčků, pokud nemohly býti doručeny, také ovoce, čokoládu, kondensované mléko, apod.

Bytové poměry zlepšily se během roku 1943 předně proto, poněvadž jednak v důsledku transportů, jednak vysokým počtem úmrtí v posledních měsících roku 1942 a počátkem roku 1943, poklesl počet Židů z přibližně 60.000 asi na 40.000. Kromě toho byla většině domů postavena třípatrová lůžka, stejná jako byla v kasárnách. Přesto bydlelo však 14 až 20 osob v pokoji, dle toho, jak byl veliký. Počítalo se 2 čtvereč. m. na osobu. Až k 7. červenci roku 1942 byli Židé umístěni pouze v kasárnách a to muži odloučeni od žen. Opustiti směli kasárny pouze, když šli do práce. Vzájemné návštěvy nebyly přípustné. Po měsíce bydleli tedy manželé ve stejném místě, aniž by byli měli příležitost viděti se.

Text from page4

Byla-li nějaká práce pro muže v ženských kasárnách, pak hrnuli se k ní muži, aby takto měli příležitost viděti své ženy alespoň po několik minut, případně, aby s nimi mohli pár slov promluviti. Často byl však dozor tak příšerný, že nebylo vůbec možnosti vzdáliti se z pracovního místa, a tak se museli po těžké únavné mnohahodinové práci vraceti do svých kasáren, aniž by byli své ženy vůbec viděli. V měsících květnu a červnu bylo civilní obyvatelstvo Terezína evakuováno a uvolněné domy byly předány Židům k obývání. Terezín byl rozdělen na 4 okresy v jichž čele stál vždy stařenina okresu, který byl podřízen vnitřní správě. Každému stařešinovi okresu byl přidělen referent pro ubikace. Každý dům byl podřízen stařešinovi domu, který byl zodpověden za všechny práce spojené s osídlením domu, stejně musel pečovati o provedení všech nutných prací a zároveň musel pečovati o blaho obyvatelů domu.

Zároveň s uvolněním domů byl zrušen zákaz opouštěti kasárna a Židé mohli se nyní v ghettu volně pohybovati. Pouze dvě ulice zůstaly Židům nepřístupné, a sice tak zvaná árijská ulice, kterou chodili obyvatelé okolí, když procházeli Terezínem a ulice, která vedla od správní budovy města, tj. od středu k obydlí SS. Obě ulice byly po obou stranách odděleny ploty.

V souvislosti s poměry bytovými několik slov o stravování. Pro obyvatele ghetta bylo vařeno v pěti velkých kuchyních. Chléb pekly dvě pekárny, částečně byl dovážen zvenčí. Zpočátku výživa pozůstávala z chleba, polévky z brukve a ze špatných bramborů. Později se strava zlepšovala. Byla poněkud pestřejší, ale porce zůstaly malé a nepostačující. K obědu bývaly buď brambory, asi 30 až 36 dkg s desetinou litru sekaniny nebo guláše, nebo přibližně 24 dkg nudlí nebo strouhanka, někdy přibližně 3 dkg masa, případně trochu prosné kaše nebo krupek. K večeři dostávali jsme asi třikrát v týdnu řídkou polévku, někdy 30 dkg brambor na loupání, jindy černou kávu. Příděl chleba na den obnášel 35 dkg, dlouho a těžce pracující dostávali 50 dkg. Krom toho dostávali jsme týdně 60 dkg margarínu a 7 dkg cukru, pracující další 2 dkg margarínu a 3 dkg cukru, dle toho, ve které skupině dotyčný byl zařazen, přičemž nerozhodoval vždy pracovní výkon. Jednou v týdnu dostávali jsme po čtvrt litru mléka a kromě toho, ovšem jen jednou za dlouhý čas, trochu marmelády nebo 3-4 dkg uzeniny, občas trojhranný sýr nebo játrovou paštiku z konservy. To bývalo však jen velmi zřídka.

Snadno pochopitelné, že za této stravy bylo hodně hladu a ten, kdo si nemohl ničeho k jídlu opatřiti, musel trpět hladem. Tomu tak bylo obzvláště u starých a práce neschopných. Hlad, tyfus, nemoce střevní, mizerná hygiena bytová, nedostatek léčiv, vyžádali si obzvláště mezi starými neslýchané oběti. V posledních měsících roku 1942 a v prvních měsících roku 1943 umřelo průměrně 200 osob denně. Ve dne a v noci bylo možno viděti v ulicích ghetta ruční káry, na nichž byly odváženy mrtvoly do umrlčích komor. Přes obětavou práci nebyli nosiči mrtvol s to zdolati odvážení mrtvol, a tak se stávalo, že mrtvoly zůstávaly v přeplněných místnostech den nebo dva ležeti, nebo zůstávali ve schodištích a předsíních. Mrtvoly byly pokládány do hrobu bez rakví /Byly to hroby hromadné/, později, po zřízení krematoria byly spalovány a popel ukládán. V roce 1943 poklesla úmrtnost tím, že byla vybudována zdravotní služba, byly zřízeny nemocnice a pokoje pro nemocné, v poslední době umíralo asi 20 osob denně. Zčásti dá se zmenšená úmrtnost vysvětliti také tím, že velké část lidí přestárlých byla v transportech buď odeslána na východ nebo již zemřela.

Smutným zjevem bylo hrozné zavšivení, které za krátkou dobu dosáhlo takového stupně, že se s klidem dá tvrditi, že 70 až 80% všech obyvatel ghetta měli vši. Zaviněno to bylo jednak děsným přeplněním obytných místností, jednak naprosto nepostačujícím zařízením pro koupání.

Text from page5

Po tisících leželi staří a choří na zavšivených ložích, z části byli sice soustředěni v domech do zvláštních místností, přes to však bylo pramálo pokojů, v nichž by byli bývali lidé bez vší. Po dlouhou dobu nebylo zhruba podnikáno ničeho ku zdolání těchto útrap. Odborníci, chemici a lékaři zasedávali a debatovali o tom, který způsob odvšivení by byl nejlepší, trvalo to však dlouho, než-li se dohodli, každý z nich měl svůj názor za nejlepší a nejspravedlivější. Konečně bylo něco podniknuto. V kasárnách, v mysliveckých, byla zřízena desinfekce pro lidi chůze neschopné, v kasárnách vrchlabských, pro lidi chůze schopných. Způsob odvšivování v kasárnách mysliveckých byl katastrofální. Staří, oslabení lidé, nuzně oblečení, kteří jen nedostatečně oblečeni museli býti přenášeni do lázní a zpět, nachlazovali se, dostávali zápal plic a umírali po stech. Velmi často se stávalo, že se po odvšivení vraceli opět se vší do svých ubikací. Konečně došlo k radikálnímu zásahu. Domy byly postupně vyklizovány, zamořeny plynem, obyvatelé za této doby vykoupáni, jejich šaty dezinfikovány, a pak teprve vraceli se odvšivení do svých čistých bytů. Nyní záleželo na stařešinách domů, aby neustále kontrolovali obyvatele domu, dbali o udržování čistoty, jak těla, tak i prádla a šatů, jakož i lůžek, aby takto bylo zabráněno novému zavšivování. Další smutnou kapitolou bylo zacházení s přestárlými i chorými, jichž byl velký počet. Tito politováníhodní byli nejhůře umístění. Jednak bydleli v nejhorších pokojích domů, jednak byli v takzvaném starobinci v jezdeckých kasárnách, ve velikých místnostech v přízemí, jejichž malými zamřížovanými okénky se nedostávalo do místnosti ani vzduchu ani denního světla. V těchto místnostech leželi po stech, vydáni jednak personálu přeškolenému, jednak vůbec neškolenému. Péče o tyto nejchudší byla nadmíru skrovná. Z nepatrného přídělu potravin bylo jim ještě ujímáno ošetřujícím personálem. Žel vedení ghetta nemělo a nechtělo míti porozumění pro tyto nejchudší. Je politování hodno, že si toto stanovisko osvojila také část lékařů a ošetřovatelů.

Na jedné straně byl nedostatek, bída a hlad a na druhé straně byla celá skupina obyvatelů ghetta a nebylo jich málo, kteří netrpěli nejen nouzí, nýbrž, kteří měli všeho nadbytek, jídla, lahůdek, vína, lihovin, kuřiva, zkrátka všeho, co si přáli. Byli to lidé zaměstnaní v jednotlivých odděleních hospodářské správy, t. j. ve skladišti potravin, v řeznictví, pekárně, v kuchyni, ve výdejně balíčků, apod. Tam všude bylo kradeno v nepředstavitelném měřítku. Když pak židovská správa ustanovila ku zamezení krádeže zvláštní dozor jako například kriminální policii a dozorčí v kuchyních. Mělo to za následek, že na několik dnů počet krádeží ještě vzrostl, neboť nyní muselo býti postaráno také o dozorce. Další skupinou bylo oddělení dopravní, které získalo prostředky ze zavazadel vždy znovu docházejících transportů. Pak tu byli členové spedičního oddělení, kteří se uplatňovali co obchodníci vpašovaných cigaret a poživatin. Tito lidé udržovali styky s árijci, zaměstnávali se podloudnou dopravou dopisů, a že to nečinili zadarmo, jest samozřejmé. Pak byla tu ještě skupina zprostředkovatelů a těch, kteří skupovali zlato a cenné předměty. O ziscích těchto obchodníků možno si učiniti přibližnou představu, když se uváží, že za cigaretu se platilo 30 až 35 korun, a že v době, kdy tito podloudní obchodníci byli zatčeni a jejich peníze a cigarety zabaveny, stoupla cena za cigaretu na 80 korun. Ale ne dosti na tom, že tito lidé si mohli dopřáti cokoliv z jídla a pití, mohli s ohledem na neomezenost svých prostředků opatřiti si také nejlepší byty.

V první noci našeho pobytu v Terezíně, byli jsme buzeni úředníky židovské samosprávy, kteří s papírovými páskami v rukou vyvolávali jména. Dotázal jsem se, co to má za význam a bylo mi řečeno, že vyvolávaní jsou zařazeni do příštího transportu na východ. Z 1000 Židů z Mor. Ostravy, kteří přišli zároveň se mnou do Terezína, byla více než polovina zařazena do transportu a skutečně také o tři dny později odesláni.

Text from page6

V říjnu roku 1942 odcházel takřka každého třetího až čtvrtého dne transport tisíce lidí mladších a starších na východ. Prostřed října 1942 došel z Berlína příkaz gestapa sepsati všechny osoby starší 65 let. Zápis byl prováděn v úředních místnostech magdeburských kasáren a sice za dne i za noci. Staří lidé byli stále vedení do magdeburských kasáren, kdež po celé hodiny museli stoje čekati na vyřízení všech formalit soupisu. Poté byl prováděn nový soupis v místnostech SS, kde lidé museli opět státi po celé hodiny, tentokrát pro změnu venku. Při tomto soupisu bylo do personálního aktu dotyčného zapsaná poznámka O /což znamenalo Osten-východ/ nebo T /Terezín/. Znaménko T bylo však zapisováno pouze u těch, kteří mohli uvésti, že mají mezi členy NSDAP vlivné známé. Když však poté došlo ku sestavování transportů, byli do nich zařazováni jak osoby se záznamem O, tak se záznamem T. Když ještě registrace byla v plném proudu, došel rozkaz, že z řad příslušníků protektorátu mají býti sestaveny transporty po 2000 lidí ve stáří 65 let, a sice první transport již za tři dny, další vždy po pěti až šesti dnech koncem října. Tato zpráva působila jako zásah bomby. Jest naprosto nemožno popsati náladu, která zavládla v ghettě. Byl to černý den. Říkalo se, že tyto transporty jsou odeslány do Ostrova, do zajateckého tábora pro důstojníky z války 1914/1918, kde prý bude zřízeno ghetto pro staré lidi. Jak jsem se však později dozvěděl, odešli všechny tyto transporty, stejně jako transporty předchozí a pozdější, do Osvědčíma. Odcházející transporty byly ještě jednou prohlíženy /říkalo se tomu geschleusst/, přičemž účastníci byli obráni o zbytek svého majetku.

V den, který byl určen jako den odjezdu, vidíme staré lidi, pokud jsou poněkud schopni chůze, vléci se ghettem ke kasárně určené co místo prohlídky /Schleusse/. Většina však z nich byla nemocná a chorá a musela býti vezena na vozících, které byly tlačeny a taženy Židy. Umírající byli vezení do kasáren. Jako kdyby se jednalo o bezcenné pytle, byli tito lidé členy správního oddělení stahováni z vozů. Při této práci vynikala obzvláště Jelínková z Vizovic a kat terezínský Karel Fischer 2Note 2 : Adolf Fischer z Prahy. Stejná podívaná opakovala se, když tito nešťastníci byli dopravováni na nádraží. Tam chudáci byli naloženi do dobytčáků, při čemž byli službu konajícími esesáky nejhrubším způsobem týrání. Nebyli to však pouze členové SS, kteří se takto chovali, mezi příslušníky protektorátního četnictva našli se také někteří, kteří napodobovali příklad SS. Vynikal v tom obzvláště velitel četnictva, kapitán Janeček, který ve svém bestiálním chování stěží mohl býti dosažen nějakým členem SS. Stávalo se, že někteří těžce nemocní umřeli na cestě. V takovém případě byly mrtvoly stejně naloženy do vagónů, neboť určený gestapem počet, musel býti rozhodně dosažen. Zavazadla účastníků transportů byla, pokud je nemohli sami unésti dopravena na vozech na nádraží a tam dopravním oddělením naloženo do vagónů. Častěji se stávalo, že velitel tábora nebo jeho zástupci Hauptsturmführer Bergl náhle zakázal další nakládání zavazadel, takže velká část zavazadel jednoduše v Terezíně zůstala a značný počet účastníků transportu odcestovalo buď pouze s částí nebo vůbec bez zavazadel. Toto smutné divadlo opakovalo se v příštích týdnech několikráte, neboť kromě desíti tisíců příslušníků z protektorátu potkalo stejný osud také 10.000 přestárlých z Reichu a Rakouska.

Hrůza a strach z transportů na východ naplňovala nás stále, neboť po krátkých přestávkách odcházely vždy nové transporty na východ. Již po dny před každou vlnou transportů panoval v ghettu strach a rozčílení. Kdykoliv dojel do Terezína Hauptsturmführer Möse z Berlína, dalo se s určitostí očekávati, že dojde k novým transportům. Ještě nežli vedení mohlo oficiálně něco oznámiti, mluvilo se v ghettu již o nebezpečí transportů. Všude se tvořily skupiny ustrašených, rozčílených lidí. Žel nastalo vždy, čeho jsme se báli. Transporty byly vždy znovu sestavovány. Transportní komisaři židovské samosprávy zasedali ve dne v noci a radili se na základě stávajících kartoték o tom, kdo má býti zařazen. Jednotlivým oddělením příslušelo právo reklamovati nepostradatelné síly a chrániti je před transportem.

Text from page7

Těžko posouditi, zda to byli vždy zasloužilí a nepostradatelní činitelé, kteří zůstali chránění. Bylo přenecháno zcela zvůli komise rozhodnouti o tom, kdo bude zařazen do transportu. Žel nebyly to vždy objektivní důvody, které ovlivňovaly členy komise. V tak zvané Schleusse byli to pak zase členové transportního vedení, kteří za peníze a dobrá slova prováděli přesuny. Za zasedání komise tlačili se na dvoře magdeburských kasáren ustrašené zástupy lidí.

Každý pokoušel se dozvěděti něco o svém osudu, pokoušel se o to odvrátiti hrozící mu nebezpečí na základě svých vztahů nebo jinak. Po vyjednávání, které trvalo dny a noci, byly konečně listiny sestaveny a v noci pak, a sice zásadně jen v noci – byly účastníkům transportů doručovány lístky se záznamy jejich jmen a s určením, že jdou na transport. Za takových nocí nebylo ovšem pomyšlení na spánek. Každý čekal s napětím na povolání, která v kasárnách byla doručována stařešinami kasáren, v bytech stařešinami domů. Pásky se záznamy povolaných docházely postupně, každý čekal úzkostlivě, zda stařenina dojde také do jeho pokoje a koho osud postihne. Aby napětí ještě bylo stupňováno, nebyly povolávací pásky doručovány najednou, nýbrž v etapách. Až do odjezdu transportů si nebyl vlastně nikdo jist, zda na něj nedojde, neboť v důsledku onemocnění nebo na základě různých vztahů, byli někteří lidé z transportů vyřazováni a komise musela až do odjezdu transportů zasedati v permanenci, aby určila případně nutné náhradníky. Tak vládl strach a rozčílení do posledních okamžiků a utichly teprve tenkráte, když vlak již odjížděl.

Jest těžké vylíčiti pocit stařešiny domu, jehož úkolem bylo doručiti smutnou zvěst o odchodu. Když jsem vstoupil s páskou do pokoje a rozsvítil světlo, tu hleděli na mě všichni a z vyjevených očí každého četl jsem otázku: Jsem také mezi nimi? A pak došlo k nejtěžšímu: připravovati dotyčného na to, že je mezi odchodu určenými. Zavládlo zoufalství, nářek a pláč, obzvláště, když, jak se často stávalo, byly rodiny roztrženy, rodiče od dětí nebo sourozenci. Nezbylo však než smířiti se s osudem. Všichni vstali a pomáhali balit. Leckterý ze zařazených pokusil se ještě o to intervencí v magdeburských kasárnách odvrátiti osud nebo běžel k lékaři, aby získal potvrzení o tom, že je transportu neschopen. Málokdo měl štěstí. Nezbývalo než k prohlídce, na nádraží a dále na východ.

Ještě po mnoho dnů po odjezdu transportů bývala nálada stísněná. Když nastalo malé uklidnění, hrozilo opět nebezpečí transportů nových. Teprve v druhé polovici roku 1943 zmenšil se počet transportů, za to však odešlo v září a prosinci 1943 a v květnu 1944 vždy po pěti tisíci lidech z ghetta.

V září 1944 počla evakuace terezínského ghetta a koncem října 1944 bylo odvezeno asi 16.000 lidí. Při sestavování těchto transportů vyznamenal se Dr. Murmelstein, který po zatčení stařešiny Dr. Epsteina převzal vedení ghetta, jakož i jeho tajemník Brochnik 3Note 3 : Prochnik. Mnozí vedoucí činitelé, kteří z nějakého důvodu upadli v nemilost u těchto dvou druhů, museli tenkráte poznati, co to znamená.

Velitel tábora Hauptsturmführer Rahm prohlásil tenkráte veřejně, že se jedná o zřízení nového pracovního tábora v blízkosti Drážďan. Zároveň bylo tenkráte řečeno, že do tohoto nového transportu smí býti zařazeni jedině lidé spolehliví, ti, kteří už byli potrestáni, neměli zásadně býti zařazeni. Do nového tábora mělo odejíti 5000 mužů. Vedení nového tábora měl převzíti vedoucí ústředního sekretariátu Ing. Otto Zucker, jemu byl přidělen vedoucí hospodářského oddělení Schliesser, jehož úkolem bylo vyřešení otázek hospodářských, které souvisely se znovuzřízením ghetta. Manželkám a nejbližším příbuzným těch, kteří měli odejíti bylo stran gestapa přislíbeno, že budou chránění a že neodejdou na transporty. Mezitím odešel první transport 1500 mužů, s nimi i Ing. Zucker a Schliesser. Tři dny poté uveřejnil Dr. Murmelstein provolání, že velitel tábora dovolil, aby 500 žen jelo

Text from page8

za svými muži, že mohou jeti společně s třetím transportem mužů. Bylo hlášeno, že se jedná o jedinečnou příležitost, která je poskytována ženám gestapem, dobrovolná hlášení musí však býti podána do 18 hodin. Po této lhůtě nemohou přihlášky býti přijímány. Mezitím odešel druhý transport 1500 mužů. Ženy měly odejíti s transportem třetím. Jelikož se však nepřihlásilo na základě vyhlášky dobrovolně 500 žen, doplnila transportní komise počet a zařadila ženy další dle vlastního úsudku.

Třetí transport byl sestaven. Byl jsem zařazen také se svou ženou. Jeli jsme ve vozech osobních, doprovozeni SS a Schupo. Říkalo se, že jedeme do Říše, do nového tábora blízko Drážďan. Bylo nás 1000 mužů a 500 žen. Přijeli jsme do Drážďan, jeli jsme však dále a když jsme se dostali do Görlitz, tu nám bylo jasno, že všechny povídání gestapa jsou jen, jak vždy, lži, že nejdeme do nového pracovního tábora nýbrž do Osvěčína. Po 36 hodinách jízdy jsme se tam také skutečně dostali. Veškerá zavazadla museli jsme zanechati ve vozech. Ihned při vystupování byli jsme odloučeni od našich žen, dosud jsme již o nich ničeho neslyšeli. Pak provedl Obersturmbannführer Mengele, lékař, selekci. Z 1000 mužů přišlo nás do tábora pouze 462, ostatní, jak jsme se dozvěděli později, do plynové komory. Až do 30. října do dne, kdy jsme byli dopraveni do Buchenwaldu, došlo asi 16. 000 Židů z Terezína do Osvěčína, z nich bylo 70% dopraveno ihned do plynových komor. Zda pak ještě z Terezína odešli transporty další mi není známo a nevím také, zde všichni Židé z Terezína byli evakuováni.

Však nyní vraťme se opět do Terezína:

Velitelství nad ghettem příslušelo služebnímu místu SS, které bylo v Terezíně. Vedoucím byl SS Hauptsturmführer Dr. Seidl, jeho zástupce inspektor tábora, SS Hauptsturmführer Bergl. Hlídání bylo svěřeno oddílu protektorátního četnictva pod vedením nadporučíka četnictva Janečka. Za provedení rozkazu gestapa byl zodpovědný stařešina ghetta a rada starších. Stařešina tábora za mého času byl Jakob Edelstein, jeho zástupce ing. Zucker. Rada starších byla vlastně pouhou atrapou, ježto jí vlastně nebylo možno usnášeti se na něčem. V zasedání bylo členům pouze sděleno jaké příkazy stařešinovi ghetta byly od služebního místa SS /Dienstelle/ dány a co třeba podniknouti aby tyto příkazy byly splněny. Nehlasovalo se, rada starších musela patřičná nařízení pouze bráti na vědomí. Bez povolení nebylo stařešinovi ghetta ani členu rady starších dovoleno aby v nějaké záležitosti došel do tak zvané Dienststelle. Zvláštní výjimka platila pouze pro Dr. Löwensteina. Tento pokřtěný žid, bývalý německý aktivní důstojník, došel v roce 1943 z Minsku, kde byl vedoucím tamější židovské ghettové policie, dovezen do malé pevnosti Terezín /koncentrák/. Po krátké vazbě byl přidělen do ghetta jako velitel stráže. To stalo se na příkaz berlínského gestapa. Za prvních dnů svého působení byl předváděn SS vedoucímu ghetta stařešinou, po krátké době však mohl docházeti sám bez stařešiny. Bylo nesporně zjištěno, že Dr. L. vykonával služby jako spitzel. Dochátel bez pozvání a aniž by ho byl o to někdo požádal, dokonce do zcela soukromých schůzek aby tam špehoval. Byl proti němu ovšem ihned zahájen boj, bylo však nadmíru těžko něco proti němu podniknouti. Teprve když proti vyslovenému přání vedoucího SS služeb. místa podnikl akce ve prospěch starých, bylo možno obviniti ho z nepoctivosti, při výkonu služby, obžalovati a zbaviti ho služby. Do té doby byl stále střežen židovskou kriminální policií.

V roce 1943 došel z Berlína tamější stařešina Židů a z Vídně bývalý rabín Dr. Murmelstein do Terezína a z příkazu říšského pověřence pro řešení židovské otázky bylo vedení změněno. Stařešinou stal se Dr. Epstein, 1. zástupce Edelstein, 2. zástupcem Dr. Murmelstein. Na rozdíl od Edelsteina, který, pokud to byla za daných poměrů možné, jednal z vlastní iniciativy a při každé příležitosti se pokoušel o to prosaditi u vedení SS úlevy pro Židy Terezína, který též občas nesplnil plně příkazy pro Židy nepříznivé, prohlásil Dr. Epstein předem, že splní každý příkaz,, který mu bude dán ze strany SS na 100%. To nebylo pro nás velmi příjemné.

Text from page9

O Dr. Murmelstainovi neslyšeli jsme nic dobrého. Ve Vídni dělal gestapu pochopa, prováděl slepě všechny udělené mu příkazy a dělal dokonce leckdy i více jen aby u gestapa byl oblíben. Kromě toho byl brutálním a dopustil se jak očití svědkové sdělují, dokonce ve Vídni toho, že stloukl úředníky náboženské obce.

Život v ghettu byl usměrněn nařízením, řádem, který byl vydán gestapem. Kromě tohoto řádu platila ještě řada zákazů. Tak bylo na příklad zakázáno míti peníze, zlato, cenné předměty, čaj, kávu, kuřivo, kouření bylo ovšem také zakázáno. Zakázán byl styk s árijci a jakýkoliv písemný styk s lidmi mimo ghetto. Obzvláště psaní bylo přísně zakázáno, porušení tohoto zákazu znamenalo býti odsouzen na smrt. Pro toto zavinění byla tak skutečně z příkazu velitele tábora Dr. Seidla vykonány popravy dne 10. ledna na devíti, dne 26. února na 7 Židech, většinou mladistvého věku. Popravě muselo z příkazu velitele ghetta přihlížeti celé osazenstvo. Popravu vykonal Karel Fischer, povoláním řezník z Prahy, který byl také sluhou na prosektuře německé lékařské fakulty university v Praze. Všech šestnáct na smrt odsouzených zemřeli jak hrdinové. Když byli vedeni k šibenici nadávali SS a plili na ně. Jen jeden z nich plakal a volal před popravou Vždyť jsem se ničeho nedopustil, psal jsem pouze matce. Jiná provinění bývala trestána žalářem a zařazením do příštího transportu, případně převedením do malé pevnosti /koncentrák/ Terezín. Podávati zprávu o způsobu výslechu stran SS zdá se mi býti zbytečné, neboť tyto způsoby jsou známy celému světu. Bylo používáno všech způsobů, od bití až po pálení horkým železem, mučení všeho druhu v krutosti, která se mohla zroditi jedině v mozcích SS. Obzvláště vynikal Hauptsturmführer Bergl, který skoro vždy býval přítomen výslechům. Tím ovšem nemá býti řečeno, že jiní velitelé tábora by se nebyli velmi aktivně zúčastnili výslechů. Během tří a půl let poznal jsem jich tři:

Byli to Dr. Seidl, Burger a Rahm. Tak na příklad Hauptsturmführer Rahm rozbil při jednom výslechu o hlavu jednoho obžalovaného tři židle. Při této příležitosti budiž vzpomenuto také Scharführera Heinla, který jak při výsleších tak i jinak dovedl býti velmi nepříjemným a v ničem nezůstával za jmenovanými pozadu.

Že přes všechen zákaz a přísné tresty panoval velmi čilý styk s árijci, netřeba podtrhávati. Většina českých četníků, umístěných v Terezíně, donášela do ghetta poživatiny a cigarety a vynášela dopisy. Musím podotknouti, že většina četníků se vůči nám chovala velmi dobře. Styk s Židy a podloudná doprava měla, když věc někdy byla prozrazena, také pro četníka velmi nepříjemné důsledky, neboť byl předně ihned zatčen. Přesto, většina jich se ani takto nedala zdržovati a podporovala nás. Ovšem také mezi četníky byli leckteří velmi nepříjemné pánové, kteří si ničeho nezadali v zacházení s Židy proti SS. Uvádím zvláště zmíněného již nadporučíka Janečka, dále strážmistra Ulmanna, poručíka Hasenkopa 4Note 4 : Hasenkopfa a Haška. Zastihl-li nadp. Janeček četníka v rozhovoru s Židem, pak předně byli všichni Židé zbití a byli stejně jak dotyčný četník udáni u SS. Takřka všichni árijci, kteří se úředně dostávali do ghetta, stejně jako železničáři, kteří jezdívali do Bohušovic a civilisté, kteří se v práci dostávali do styku s Židy, přinášeli nám poživatin a cigarety. Také árijští kočí, kteří odváželi smetí z ghetta, pašovali nám jídlo. Velmi často byly vykonávány za pomoci četnictva a ghettové stráže náhlé neohlášené prohlídky v kasárnách. Prohlídky vykonávali členové SS. Občas konali se za dne, někdy v noci. Vždy bylo nalezeno něco ze zakázaných předmětů. Věděli jsme, že takřka všechny tyto prohlídky byly vykonávány na základě udání z řad židovských, věděli jsme, že udavače nutnu hledati mezi členy bývalé židovské policie vídeňské, kteří již dříve kolaborovali s Scharführerem Heinlem, nepodařilo se nám však skoro nikdy zjistiti bezpečně pachatele.

Text from page10

Zatčení, ke kterým docházelo, výslechy, při nichž se vyšetřování zdatně zdráhali udati jména árijců, s nimiž byli ve styku, bývaly spojeny s nejtěžším mučení. Někteří se zhroutili za těchto hrozných výslechů a jmenovali své dodavatele, kteří bývali jednak Židé, jednak árijci. Následovala nová zatčení, nové výslechy a opět další zatčení. Tak přinášel každý den nová, vždy však nepříjemná překvapení. Nelze tvrditi, že den by se rovnal dni. Tak na příklad v listopadu 1942 byl za plivání na ulici a odhazování papírů stanoven pro celé ghetto trest: zákaz vycházky po dobu čtyř týdnů, přerušení světelného vedení. Nařízeno Dr. Seidlem. V září 1943 došlo do Terezína několik set dětí z Bialostoku, jichž rodiče byli nacisty vyvražděni. Byly ubytovaní v barácích mimo ghetto a obyvatelům ghetta bylo pod nejtěžší výhružkou zakázáno vejíti s nimi v jakýkoliv styk. Židovští lékaři a ošetřovatelky byli již o den dříve posláni do onoho baráku, bylo jim nejpřísněji zakázáno sejíti se s kýmkoliv v ghettu. Ve skutečnosti se také s nikým nesetkali. Děti byly vedeny četnou stráží SS do odvšivovací koupelny v ghettu. Pohled byl srdcervoucí. Zástup ustrašených, plachých dětí, ušpiněných sešlých a hrozně vyhladovělých. Před koupelnou odehrávaly se děsné výjevy. Děti zdráhali se vejíti do koupelny a křičeli neustále Nicht, nicht, gas. /Ne, ne, plyn/. Teprve když jsem se sám dostal do Osvědčína, porozuměl jsem proč děti se tenktáte tak hrozně bály. Jen ztěží podařilo se židovským lékařům a ošetřovatelům uklidniti děti a dovésti je do koupele. Pak byli děti oblečeny do nových šatů a došel rozkaz, že pro ně musí býti zvláště a vydatně vařeno. Říkalo se, že tyto děti jsou určeny pro výměnu a že budou dopraveny přes Turecko do Palestiny. Za několik týdnů tyto děti také skutečně byly odeslány také s lékaři a ošetřovateli, aniž by byla bývala dána jednomu z nich možnost rozloučiti se se svými. Jak jsem se později dozvěděl, byly všechny tyto děti i s celým personálem poslány do Osvědčína a tam do plynu. V listopadu 1942 nařídilo vedení tábora sčítání celého osazenstva. Konalo se dne 10. listopadu v Bohušovické kotlině. Vyjímaje těžce nemocné, kteří byli soustředěni do dvou kasáren a tam počítáni, zároveň s kojenci a jejich matkami, museli onoho dne všichni nastoupiti a pochodovati o šesté hodině ranní i s dětmi a kočárky k Bohušovické kotlině. Tam stáli jsme po celý den venku a byli jsme stále a stále počítáni. Za tímto účelem došel z Prahy celý zástup gestapáků. Bylo zima, pršelo a sněžilo, promrzli jsme notně. Stmívalo se už a připravovali jsme se na to, že budeme muset státi také v noci venku. V tom však došel rozkaz návratu do ghetta. Bylo již úplně tma když jsme nastupovali zpáteční pochod.

V květnu 1944 byli jsme zdrceni zprávou, že Jakob Edelstein a řada vedoucích úředníků ghtetta byla zatčena. Bylo řečeno, že zatčení byla provedena, pro přehmaty, jichž se dopustili při sestavování transportů v listopadu 1942. Skutečně došlo tenkráte k nějakým přesunům, ale to se stávalo u každého transportu, že lidé, kteří si to mohli buď podplacením nebo na základě svých styků dovoliti, byli v posledním okamžiku z transportů vyřazeni. Na těchto přesunech však Edelstein učasti neměl. Byl jednoduše činěn zodpovědným za všechny přehmaty jichž se úředníci dopustili. Po několika dnech vazby byl se všemi ostatními zatčenými dovezen do Osvědčína a tam, jak jsem se později dozvědět čas vězněn v bunkru a pak zastřelen. Bylo mi řečeno, že jeho a ženu a malé dítě stihl stejný osud.

Ještě jeden zjev patřil k denním událostem. Byly to takzvané Berušky. To byly ženy organizace NSV z Litoměřic, které v doprovodu četníků, ghettové stráže a ženské kriminální policie docházely do ženských kasáren a do bloků, aby tam rekvírovaly. Obyvatelé místnosti v nichž zahájily Berušky svou činnosti museli opustiti pokoje a nyní začalo ouřadování. Vše bylo přeházeno, převráceno a sebráno co se jim líbilo a co jim přišlo pod ruku. Když opustily mistnost a obyvatelky se opět vrátily, trvalo několik hodin než vše uvedly zase do pořádku.

Text from page11

Když nyní podávám zprávu o zjevech každodenních, chci také něco pověděti o zaměstnání obyvatelů ghetta: Každá žena a každy muž byli i hned po příchodu do ghetta zařazeni do práce. Každý musel, před zařazením na stálé místo, ať už v administraci či v práci manuální pracovati po nějakou dobu v setnině. Těm, kteří byli zařazeni do setnin byla práce denně přidělována. Ženy většinou čistily, muži konali práce různé. Každý měl možnosti přihlásiti se do toho zaměstnání o němž se domníval, že ho může vykonati. Podal dotyčnému oddělení curriculum vitae a jestliže vedoucí oddělení se domníval, že žadatele může zaměstnati, žadál na ústředně /úřad práce/ aby žadatel dotyčnému oddělení byl přidělen. Jakmile úřad práce žadatele zprostil jeho dosavadního zaměstnání, byl akt postoupen osobnímu oddělení, které muselo zařazení schváliti. Teprve toto schválení mělo platnost konečnou.

Jednotlivá oddělení ghetta byla:

Správa vnitřní: správa domů a kasáren

Stráž ghetta

Kriminální policie


Ústřední evidence

O umístění obyvatel ghetta pečovala takzvaná Raumwirtschaft

Oddělení hospodářství: opatřování poživatin, dozor nad kuchyněmi, zemědělství, pekárny.

Oddělení stavební: udržování a úprava obytných domů

Oddělení instalační: Kladení potrubí a zřizování vodovodů, zařizování umýváren

Oddělení finanční

Oddělení pro transporty

Úřad práce


V Terezíně byla zastoupena všechna řemesla, byly pro ně zřízeny dílny všeho druhu. Kromě toho vykonávali muži práce co zametači silnice, čističi stok, nosoči mrtvol a různé práce šachtování. Ženy upravovaly předně lože, byly zaměstnány co ošetřovatelky, dále v kolonách cidiček pro kasárny a domy. Jedno z nejdůležitějších oddělení bylo odd. instalační. Lidé tohoto oddělení museli opatřiti městu, které až dosud uhrazovalo normální spotřebu vody pro přibližně 5000 obyvatel ze studní, celou sítí vodovodů. Inženýři a dělníci pracovali bez ustání a skutečně podařilo se jim za poměrně krátkou dobu připojitit takřka každý dům k vodovodnímu potrubí. V mnohých domech byly zřízeny záchody na splachování a zařízeny umývárny a sprchy. V krátké době postavili Židé také trať z Bohušovic do Terezína. Kromě prací v ghettu byly vykonávány také práce pro SS a pro Němce. Pro SS konala se předně práce zemědělská, při níž bylo zaměstnáno asi 1200 osob, převážně ženy. Pak byla práce na malé pevnosti, kterou konala skupina přibližně dvaceti mužů. Toto komando bylo nesporně nejhorší, protože SS, kteří byli na malé pevnosti tyto lidi stále tloukli. Oddělení, která byla pod správou Němců a pod přímým dozorem SS byla následující: Výroba beden, krejčovna na stejnokroje, čistírna, komory /takzvané Bekleidungskammer/ tedy skladiště pro šaty, oddělení uměleckoprůmyslové. V těchto podnicích bylo zaměstnáno 3.000 - 3.500 lidí, většinou ženy.

V komorách, v nichž byly zaměstnány předně ženy, byla otevírána zavazadla zabavená příchozím a jejich obsah tříděn, šaty, obuv, prádlo, vše bylo rozdělováno na tři skupiny. Třída I a II byly posílány do říše, věci skupiny III, tedy věci, které byly takřka neupotřebitelné byly dány k dispozici židovské správě. Z těchto zásob byly šaceni Židé. Dozor vykonávala SS a kromě toho četníci, kromě toho ženské zaměstnané u gestapa, které vykonávaly tělesné prohlídky u žen, když tyto odcházely z práce. Leckdy musely se ženy vysvléci do naha. Kromě toho vykonávaly také dozor ženy židovské kriminální policie. Nutno říci, že tyto dozorkyně bývaly často příjemnější než-li Němky. Co udavačka vynikala mezi nimi obzvláště paní Saša Braunová, emigrantka z Německa, která žila delší dobu v Praze a Mor. Ostravě.

Text from page12

S povolením SS převzal velký počet v Terezíně přítomných umělců úkol postarati se o rozptýlení ve volné době. Byli činní umělci všech oborů. Opera, opereta, oratoria, symfonické, sólové, komorní koncerty, kabarety. Z počátku konaly se tyto zábavy ve velkém sále kasáren magdeburských. Později bylo použito sálu v radnici, jakož i kina a přednášková síň v sokolovně. Kromě toho byla také různá představení na půdách různých domů, které byly pro tyto účely zvláště upraveny. S nejjednoduššími primitivními prostředky bylo dosaženo velmi hodnotných výkonů. Tato představení byla světlým bodem v šedé jednotvárnosti terezínského pobytu. Kromě toho byl pěstován sport všeho druhu, předně kopaná. Pořádané závody byly navštěvovány tisíci diváků, potají docházeli také dokonce četníci a členové SS. V roce 1945 byla zřízena koncertní kavárna a organizována trubačský sbor, který denně koncertoval na náměstí. Tato na posledním místě uvedená zařízení, jakož i obchod s potravinami a dva obchody s oděvy, které však měli pouze zboží vystavené ve výkladních skříních, vypůjčené ze skladišť byla zřízená jedině proto, poněvadž byla očekávána nějaká komise z neutrální ciziny. Po měsíce bylo pracováno na okrase Terezína. Na hlavním náměstí byly zřízeny trávníky a nasázeny růže. Domy byly opravovány, znovu natírány, okna opatřena záclonami, ovšem pouze v ulicích, jimiž komise měla býti prováděna. Osazenstvo domů bylo co do počtu sníženo třetí patro lůžek odstraněno. Celé domy byly vyklizeny, nový nábytek, každé okno bylo opatřeno záclonami, v každém pokoji nastěhována rodina nejvýše o třech členech. Pro Dány byly na rychlo zařízeny zvláštní domy, do nichž se rodiny museli během několika málo hodin nastěhovati. Zkrátka, byla vystěvěna Potěmkinova vesnice. Byla snaha vzbuditi u komise dojem, že Židé v Terezíně jsou krásně ubytováni, že je o ně, co nejlépe postaráno. V den, kdy komise byla v Terezíně, dostali jsme také lepší jídlo k tomu ještě jednou tolik. Třetí říše nedá Židům hladověti. Sotva však komise opustila Terezín, bylo Dánům nařízeno vykliditi opět krásné byty a nastěhovati se zpátky do starých ubikací. Jediné co nám zůstalo, byly záclony na oknech. Před návštěvou komise byl ještě natáčen propagační film. Za tímto účelem byly obchody opatřeny velkými tabulemi a nápisy, stejně kavárna a banka. Byly uspořádány velké sportovní závody, kabaret na volném prostranství, koncert na náměstí. Židé museli se všude zúčastniti v největším počtu. Provoz ve všech podnicích byl dokonce zastaven, jen aby zaměstnanci se mohli zúčastniti dokonce podniky pracující pro válečnou produkci museli vyslati své lidi. Vše to však byl počátek konce. Brzo poté započala evakuace ghetta o níž jsem již podal zprávu.

Opsáno dle originálu.

Dáno dokumentační akci k dispozici panem Maxem Munkem, Uherské Hradiště.

Za dokumentační akci přijal: Scheck

Za archiv přijal: Tressler


  • Updated 10 months ago
The Czech lands (Bohemia, Moravia and Czech Silesia) were part of the Habsburg monarchy until the First World War, and of the Czechoslovak Republic between 1918 and 1938. Following the Munich Agreement in September 1938, the territories along the German and Austrian frontier were annexed by Germany (and a small part of Silesia by Poland). Most of these areas were reorganized as the Reichsgau Sudetenland, while areas in the West and South were attached to neighboring German Gaue. After these terr...
The archive records from the Terezín ghetto (24 November 1941 – 8 May 1945, and from the period after the liberation) are preserved only in fragments. Only a portion of the documents in the collection are connected with the official activities of the Terezín Council of Elders and with the various departments and sections of its self-government. The first group of documents comprise a relatively diverse range of maps, plans and drawings of the ghetto, the surrounding area, the housing blocks a...