František Fischhof, history of the Old New Synagogue during the Nazi occupation


František Fischhof describes the history of the Old New Synagogue in Prague from the beginning of the Nazi occupation in March 1939 until his deportation to the Terezín Ghetto in March 1943.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Czech
  3. German
Text from page1


by Franz Fischhof, Prague, former inmate of Theresienstadt, Auschwitz, Kauffering IV. and St. Otilien.

The Old New Synagogue in Prague during the German occupation.

In response to your request, I begin with episodes that are related to the Old New Synagogue in Prague.

1. / On the night of March 20, 1939, Czech fascists working on behalf of the Germans climbed the roof of the Old New Synagogue / the oldest Gothic synagogue in Europe/, smashed the window panes on the roof and used a wire to lower a petrol can with 20 liters of petrol, along with many rags and wood wool soaked in petrol, into the interior of the synagogue and lit it on fire. Even though the upper windows caught fire, a miracle occurred and a strong wind extinguished the fire. The Czech police investigated the case and the perpetrators but were not allowed to arrest them.

2. / Germans and fascists searched the synagogue and the building of the Jewish Community for weapons, occupied the library and turned them into the SS Command Location [sic]. There were about 30,000 volumes, including very valuable one-of-a-kind pieces and sonzine prints.

3. / On the Shavuot festival of the same year, the Mincha prayer was held half an hour early, so that the synagogue was (unusually) already closed at 4 pm. At 5 o'clock we heard a strong detonation from the house next to the synagogue, where the stairwell and the caretaker's apartment were destroyed. The investigation found that the time bomb had been intended for the Old New Synagogue and that just because it was already closed at 4pm, the perpetrators put the bomb in the house next door to hit the synagogue. According to the Police Commissioner from the first police station, the police knew the perpetrators, but were not allowed to arrest them. As a response, a police guard was set up at the expense of the Religious Community, although this was banned after 6 months.

4. / Rosh Hashanah 5700 /1939 / a raid was carried out against the Jews in front of the synagogues. I too was taken out of the Old New Synagogue during prayers, along with a number of Jews who wanted to enter the synagogue upstairs, and we were arrested by Gestapo Commissioner Bartl and taken to the Gestapo Headquarters in waiting cars. There, we had to face the wall for 2 ½ hours, after which we had to do heavy manual labour in narrow corridors and up and down stairs at a run. After being interrogated by Detective Inspector Fuchs, I was the only one to be released, while the rest were transferred to the Pankrác prison, where they were tortured and received death threats.

5. / on Yom Kippur of the same year we were asked to hand over our financial statements and turn in our radios. We didn’t do it until the next day and

Text from page2

reassured the synagogue visitors.

6. / On October 15, 1939. We received a visit from the Obergruppenfuhrer and Chief of the Jewish Police Eichmann from the Berlin headquarters, who was interested in all Jewish institutions, including the cemetery, synagogues, shekels, etc. Among other things, he asked why the Jewish cemeteries in the Orient were built into rock faces. The sentence: When I was working in Morocco in the secret service against the Jews, I saw other graves, slipped out.

7. / In July 1940, Gestapo Commissioner Bartl came to visit the synagogue and the old Jewish cemetery. At the tomb of Rabbi David Oppenheim 1Note 1 : Oppenheimer, which had a rich and valuable library - Hebraika, Talmudika - located at Oxford University /. He said: Our boys will manage to bring the library home soon.

8. / On July 20, 1940, a troop of fascist youth stormed the Old New Synagogue, just as the Mincha prayer was being held. I called on the intruders to leave the synagogue immediately, otherwise I would alert the Gestapo or the central office. Then the gentlemen fled at a run.

9. / On August 10, 1940, I was taken away from worship to meet with the head of the JKG Dr. Weidmann, at the office of Hauptsturmführer Günther from the Central Office for Jewish Emigration in the protectorate, to audition 2Note 2 : Part of this sentece is missing in the Czech translation.. Günther said that a Jew film was going to be made and we would have to provide 100 extras with beards and pejot, along with a cantor who knows the rites and melodies. We pointed out that this would be technically difficult, to which he replied succinctly: Orders must be followed. When the director arrived from Berlin to rehearse in the Old New Synagogue I told him that no proper scenes could come out of there as it lacked atmosphere. Moreover, it was not in keeping with the piety of the Old New Synagogue and its tradition. They decided to refrain from recording in the Old New Synagogue and the JKG was entrusted with the implementation and engagement of professional actors and volunteer extras.

10. / On August 18, 1940, the pigeons were shot down from the roof of the Old New Synagogue on the grounds that the symbol of the Jews had to be removed. Regularly, on every holiday, special torments against the Jews were ordered.

11. / On Purim night in 1941, the first air raid alarm in Prague occured. It was ordered that no lessons, or morning devotions take place in schools and synagogues. All synagogues, with the exception of the Old New Synagogue, were closed. I was called to account and defended myself for saying that the Megila / coram publico / needed to be read. Then I was released.

12. / On the Sabbath an SS Oberfuhrer came to our apartment and very politely asked me to open the Old New Synagogue, as he himself was very interested in it and had travelled via Prague on his way from Berlin to Vienna to visit the synagogue. We were very surprised how familiar he was with the customs and traditions of the Jews. He then said that he was a clerk in the propaganda office, that he had previously worked in Vienna

Text from page3

with a sabbath-observing merchant and had been very interested in Jewish customs since then. He wanted to send a larger donation to the synagogue, which I refused, on the grounds that we had to pay the donations to the central office. He explained to us that despite his position, he was a friend of Judaism and that in his lectures to the Nazi Party he had often pointed out that a fight against Judaism was only possible in oral form, and under no circumstances with a fist. As soon as the Germans use violence against the Jews, the war is lost. I am sorry that I am not taken seriously.

13./ Erew Yom Kippur 1941 the leaders of the JKG whether the service could be held. / In Brno, 100 Jews were arrested on Erew Yom Kippur, taken to Mauthausen and murdered within 14 days./ Of course, the Central Office said they had forbidden it. Nevertheless, morning and evening prayers were said daily according to rite of the Old New Synagogue, in the apartments of the Chief Cantor Hirsch and the Chief Rabbi.

14./ We were able to supply the Jews of the Protectorate with mazzot, wine, fat, ritually-prepared meat conserves and Lulav and Etrog until March 1, 1943. The donors were the Joint, and the KGs Pressburg, Budapest, Lubotice, and Groß-Wardein.

15./ On October 1, 1941, all synagogues and schools were closed. The furnishings of the entire Protectorate came to Prague, where a Jewish museum was built / order of Rosenberg and Goebbels /.

16./ 12 January 1943. During the night on Sunday at 1 o'clock I was awakened by the police. I was supposed to come immediately to the Old New Synagogue, because light could be seen coming from inside. The investigation revealed that the wire insulation had been damaged by the moisture and that the Ner tamid had self-ignited and illuminated the synagogue quite strangely. The wakeful Czech Police Inspector patted my shoulder and said, I congratulate you Jews: I see this as a sign that God will help you.

On the first of March, 1943, I was put onto a transport to Theresienstadt. There I worked in the rabbinate and in the M Aktion. The robbed libraries of the rabbinical seminaries from Vienna, Amsterdam, Berlin, Warsaw, Breslau etc., were brought to Theresienstadt in hundreds of boxes, where they were edited and cataloged by specialists, because the Judaistic Institute, Berlin, according to the words of its leader, Sturmführer Dr. Kellner, had no suitable professionals available. Among the many boxes of books were also about 50 boxes with books from the Benedictine monastery of St. Ottilien.

On September 27, 1944, I had to leave this beautiful job because I was put onto a transport to Birkenau.

3Note 3 : Following part is missing in the Czech tramslation:On behalf of the Documentation Campaign: Weinberger

On behalf of the archive: 17. IX. 1945 Alex. Schmiedt

Text from page4

čj 244/45



od Františka Fischhofa, bývalý vězeň koncentračních táborů Terezín, Osvěčím, Kauffering IV a St. Ottilien.

Staronová synagoga v Praze za dobu německé okupace.

Vyhovuji Vaší ct. výzvě a začínám s epizody, které se přihodily v Staronové synagoze v Praze.

1./ V noci 20. března 1939 vyvezli čeští fašisté z příkazu Němců na střechu Staronové synagogy /nejstarší gotická synagoga v Evropě/, rozbili okenní tabule a pustili tam konev s 20 l benzinu, hadry namočené v benzinu a dřevitou vlnu, kterou připevnili na drát, do vnitra synagogy a zapálili všechno. Ačkoliv hořejší okna začala hořeti, stal se zázrak a silný vítr uhasil oheň. Česká policie vypátrala pachatelé, ale nesměla je však zatknouti.

2./ Němci a fašisté prohledali synagogu a budovu židovské náboženské obce, jest - li nejsou někde schovány zbraně, zabavili knihovnu a převedli ji do SS - Standort - kommandatury. Jednalo se o 30.000 svazků, mezi nimiž byly cenné unikáty a Sonzino - tisky.

3./ Na Šavuot téhož roku byla modlitba Mincha přesunuta o hodinu dřív, takže synagoga byla výjimečně zavřena již ve 4 h. odpoledne. V 5 hodin slyšeli jsme silnou detonaci z domu sousedící se synagogou, kde bylo zničeno schodiště a byt domovníkův. Při vyšetření se ukázalo, že puma byla určena pro Staronovou synagogu a pouze tím, že byla uzavřena již ve 4 h. položili ji pachatelé do vedlejšího domu, aby synagoga byla zničena. Dle sdělení policejního komisaře znala policie pachatele, nesměla však zakročiti. Za to byla postavena na útraty náboženské obce policejní stráž, která byla po šesti měsících zakázána.

4./ Na Roš - hašanah 5700/1939 byla razie na židy před synagogami i pro mne si přišli při modlitbě v synagoze a byl jsem zatčen s četnými jinými židy, kteří zrovna chtěli vstoupiti do synagogy komisařem Gestapa Bartlem a odvezen do připravených aut do ústředny Gestapa. Tam jsme museli státi 2 ½ hodiny obličejem ke stěně, pak nositi těžká břemena po úzkých chodbách a schodech. Po výslechu kriminálním komisařem Fuchsem jsem byl propuštěn jako jediný, ostatní byli převezeni na Pankrác, kde byli mučeni hrozbami smrti.

5./ Na Jom Kippur téhož roku jsme byli vyzváni odevzdati přiznání jmění a radia, učinilo se tak až příští den a uklidnili jsme návštěvníky synagog také tím směrem.

6./Dne 15. října 1939 přišel na návštěvu Obergruppenführer Eichmann, šéf policie z berlínské ústředny, který se zajímal o všechny židovské instituce jako hřbitovy, synagogy a šekly. Mimo jiné se ptal, proč se staví v orientu hřbitovy skaloviště. Unikla mu věta: Když jsem ještě v Maroku pracoval v tajné službě proti židům, viděl jsem jiné hroby.

7./ V červenci 1940 přišel komisař Gestapa Bartl prohlédnouti si synagogu a Starý židovský hřbitov. U hrobu rabína Davida Oppenheima 1Note 1 : Oppenheimer, jehož bohatá knihovna hebraika a talmudika se nalézá v oxfordské universitě, prohodil: Naši kluci dokážou to brzy a přinesou nám knihovnu zpátky.

Text from page5

8./ Dne 20. července vtrhla skupina fašistické mládeže do Staronové synagogy, zrovna když se modlilo Mincha. Vyzval jsem je aby opustili ihned synagogu a hrozil jsem jim Gestapem a Zentralstelle, načež pánové se dali na spěšný útěk.

9./ Dne 10. srpna 1940 jsem musil opustiti bohoslužbu a dostaviti se k Hauptsturmführerovi Güntherovi z Zentralstelle. Günther nám oznámil, že se natočí film o židech a že musíme dáti k disposici 100 statistů s vousy a pejot, i s kantorem, který zná obyčeje a melodie. Poukázali jsme na to, že je to velice těžké, načež prohlásil krátce: Rozkaz musí být splněn. Když se objevil režisér z Berlína, aby zahájil zkoušky ve Staronové synagoze, řekl jsem mu, že asi scény nedopadnou dobře, protože schází nálada, nehledě k tomu, že se to celé příčí pietě a tradici Staronové synagogy. Upustilo se od snímků ve Staronové synagoze a židovská náboženská obec byla pověřena provedením a přijetím herců z povolání a dobrovolných statistů.

10./ Dne 18. srpna 1940 byla sestřelena ozdoba ze střechy Staronové synagogy s odůvodněním, že židovský odznak musí býti odstraněn. Pravidelně se nařídili nová mučení židů ke svátkům.

11./ V purimové noci 1941 byl první letecký poplach v Praze. Bylo nařízeno, aby se nekonalo vyučování ve školách a v synagogách modlitby v hodinách ranních. Všechny synagogy, až na Staronovou byly zavřeny. Musil jsem za to odpovídati a hájil jsem se, že Megila musí býti přečtena Coram publico. Na to jsem byl propuštěn.

12./ Jedné soboty přišel k nám do bytu nějaký SS Oberführer a požádal mne zdvořile, abych nechal otevříti Staronovou synagogu, protože se o ni velice zajímal a jel schválně přes Prahu z Berlína do Vídně. Byli jsme velice překvapeni jeho dobrou znalostí židovských obyčejů. Vypravoval nám, že je referentem v úřadě pro propagandu a že byl dřív činný u židovského kupce ve Vídni, který světil sabat. Chtěl věnovati synagoze větší částku, což jsem odmítl tím, že by se musela stejně odvésti Zentralstelle. Řekl nám, že je vzdor svému postavení přítelem židů a že upozornil často ve svých referátech na to, že boj proti židům je pouze možný ústně a nikoliv pěstí.

Od té doby, co Němci použili právo pěsti proti židům, ztratili válku a lituji pouze, že mne žádný nebere vážně.

13./ Erev Jom Kippur 1941 se ptalo vedení, zda - li se smí konati bohoslužba. /V Brně bylo zatčeno 200 židů, zavlečeni do Mauthausenu a zavražděni během 14ti dnů./ Samozřejmě zakázala Zentralstelle bohoslužbu. Nicméně se modlilo denně ráno a večer podle ritu Staronové synagogy a to v bytech vrchního kantora Hirsche a vrchního rabína.

14./ Do 1. března 1943 nám bylo možno zásobiti židy v Protektorátu s mazzot, vínem, sádlem, rituelně vyrobenými konservami, lulefy a etrogy. Dárci byly organisace Jointu v Bratislavě, Budapešti, Lubotice a Gross Wardein.

15./ Dne 1. řijna 1941 byly zavřeny všechny školy a synagogy. Zařízení přišlo do Prahy, kde se zřídilo židovské museum v příkazu Rosenberga a Goebbelse.

16./ Dne 12. ledna 1943 v noci jsem byl v jednu hodinu probuzen policií a bylo mi řečeno, že mám se ihned odebrati do Staronové synagogy, v jejíž vnitru je silná světelná zář. Při vyšetření se zjistilo, že isolační dráty trpěly mokrem a že se Ner Tamid rozsvítil samočinně. Synagoga byla tím prazvláštně osvětlena. Český policejní inspektor, který měl

zrovna službu poklepl mi na rameno, řka: Blahopřeji Vám židům, považuji to za symbol, že Bůh Vám pomůže.

Text from page6

Dne 1. března 1943 jsem byl zařazen do terezínského transportu, kde jsem pracoval v rabinátě a v M - akci. Uloupené rabínské knihovny z Vídně, Amsterodamu, Berlína, Varšavy a Vratislavy byly přivezeny po stech do Terezína, tam zpracovány odborníky a katalogizovány, protože judaistický institut v Berlíně dle výroku Sturmführera Kellnera neměl odborníků. Mezi knihami bylo též asi 50 beden benediktského kláštera St. Ottilien. Dne 27. září 1944 jsem byl donucen opustiti tuto krásnou práci, protože jsem byl zařazen do transportu do Osvěčími.

Text from page1

von Franz Fischhof, Prag, gewesener Häftling aus Theresienstadt, Auschwitz, Kauffering IV. und St. Otilien.

Die Altneusynagoge in Prag während der deutschen Okkupation.

Ihrer gesch. Aufforderung nachkommend, beginne ich mit Episoden, welche sich in der Altneusynagoge zu Prag zugetragen haben.

1./ In der Nacht auf den 20. März 1939 haben tschechische Faschisten im Auftrag der Deutschen das Dach der Altneusynagoge /der ältesten gotischen Synagoge Europas/ erklettert, die Dachscheiben eingeschlagen und eine Benzinkanne mit 20 Liter Benzin nebst vielen in Benzin getränkten Hadern und Holzwolle in das Innere der Synagoge mit Draht abgelassen und angezündet. Trotzdem die oberen Fenster Feuer fingen, geschah ein Wunder und ein starker Wind verlöschte das Feuer. Die tschechische Polizei untersuchte den Fall, forschte die Täter aus, durfte aber keine Verhaftung vornehmen.

2./ Deutsche und Faschisten durchsuchten die Synagoge und das Gebäude der jüdischen Kultusgemeinde nach Waffen, nahmen die Bibliothek in Beschlag und überführten sie in die SS – Standortkommandantur. Es handelte sich um 30.000 Bände, darunter sehr wertvolle Unikate und Sonzinedrucke.

3./ Am Schawuot-Feste desselben Jahres wurde das Minchagebet um eine halbe Stunde vorverschoben, sodass die Synagoge ausnahmsweise bereits um 4 h geschlossen war. Um 5 h hörten wir eine starke Detonation aus dem der Synagoge benachbarten Hause, wo das Stiegenhaus und die Hausmeisterwohnung zerstört wurden. Die Untersuchung ergab, dass die Zeitbombe für die Altneusynagoge bestimmt war und nur weil diese um 4 h bereits geschlossen war, haben die Täter die Bombe ins Nachbarhaus gelegt, um die Synagoge zu treffen. Laut Mitteilung des Polizeikommissars des ersten Reviers, kannte die Polizei die Täter, durfte aber keine Verhaftung vornehmen. Dafür wurde auf Kosten der Kultusgemeinde eine Polizeiwache aufgestellt, welche aber nach 6 Monaten verboten wurde.

4./ Rosch-Haschanah 5700 /1939/ fand eine Razzia auf die Juden vor den Synagogen statt. Auch ich wurde während des Gebetes aus der Altneusynagoge herausgeholt, zusammen mit einer Anzahl Juden, welche oben die Synagoge betreten wollten, vom Gestapokommissar Bartl verhaftet und in bereitstehenden Autos zur Gestapozentrale abgeführt. Dort mussten wir 2 ½ Stunden mit dem Gesicht zur Wand stehen, nachher schwere Lastarbeiten auf schmalen Gängen und Treppen im Laufschritt verrichten. Nach dem Verhör durch Kriminalkommissar Fuchs wurde ich als einziger entlassen, während die übrigen Personen in die Strafanstalt Pankrác überführt wurden, wo sie unter Todesbedrohungen gemartert wurden.

5./ Jom Kippur desselben Jahres wurden wir aufgefordert, die Vermögensbekenntnisse abzugeben und die Radios abzuführen. Wir taten dies aber erst am nächsten Tag und haben auch die

Text from page2

Synagogenbesucher dahingehend beruhigt.

6./ Am 15. Oktober 1939. Besuch des Obergruppenführers und Chefs der Judenpolizei Eichmann aus der berliner Zentrale, welcher sich für sämtliche jüdische Einrichtungen, wie Z. B. Friedhof, Synagogen, Schekel usw. interessierte. Unter anderem fragte er, weshalb die jüdischen Friedhöfe im Orient felsenmässig gebaut seien. Es entschlüpfte ihm der Satz: Als ich noch in Marokko im Geheimdienst gegen die Juden arbeitete, sah ich andere Grüber.

7./ Im Juli 1940 kam Gestapokommissar Bartl um die Synagoge und den alten jüdischen Friedhof zu besichtigen. Am Grabe des Rabbi David Oppenheim 1Note 1 : Oppenheimer /dessen reichhaltige und wertvolle Bibliothek – Hebraika, Talmudika – sich in der oxforder Universität befindet/. Sagte er: Unsere Jungens werden es bald schaffen und die Bibliothek heimbringen.

8./ Am 20. Juli 1940 stürmte ein Stosstrupp der faschistischen Jugend die Altneusynagoge, gerade, als das Minchagebet abgehalten wurde. Ich forderte die Eindringlinge auf, die Synagoge sofort zu verlassen, ansonsten ich die Gestapo bzw. die Zentralstelle alarmieren würde. Daraufhin flüchteten die Herrschaften im Laufschritt.

9./ Am 10. August 1940 wurde ich vom Gottesdienst weggeholt, um mit dem Leiter der JKG Dr. Weidmann, beim Hauptsturmführer Günther aus der Zentralstelle der Juden im Protektorat, vorzusprechen 2Note 2 : Part of this sentece is missing in the Czech translation.. Günther sagte, dass ein Judenfilm gedreht werden sollte und wir 100 Statisten mit Bartl und Pejot nebst Kantor, der die Riten und Melodien kennt, zur Verfügung stellen müssen. Wir wiesen darauf hin, dass dies technisch schwierig sei, worauf er kurz und bündig erklärte: Befehl muss ausgeführt werden. Als der Regisseur aus Berlin kam, um die Proben in der Altneusynagoge durchzuführen, sagte ich ihm, dass keine richtigen Szenen herauskommen könnten, da sie Stimmung fehle. Außerdem widerspreche es der Pietät der Altneusynagoge und ihrer Tradition. Von den Aufnahmen in der Altneusynagoge wurde Abstand genommen und die JKG wurde mit der Durchführung und Engagement von Berufsschauspielern und freiwilligen Statisten betraut.

10./ Am 18. August 1940 wurden die Tauben vom Dache der Altneusynagoge abgeschossen, mit der Begründung, das Wahrzeichen der Juden müsse entfernt werden. Regelmäßig an jedem Feiertag wurden besondere Quälerei gegen die Juden verordnet.

11./ In der Purimnacht 1941 war der erste Fliegeralarm in Prag. Es wurde angeordnet, dass in Schulen und Synagogen kein Unterricht, bzw. Andachten am Morgen stattfinden dürften. Alle Synagogen mit Ausnahme der Altneusynagoge waren geschlossen. Ich wurde zur Verantwortung gezogen und verteidigte mich, dass die Megila /coram publico/ vorgelesen werden müsse. Daraufhin wurde ich entlassen.

12./ Am Sabbath kam ein SS Oberführer zu uns in die Wohnung und ersuchte mich sehr höflich, ich möge die Altneusynagoge öffnen lassen, da er selbst großes Interesse dafür habe und von Berlin über Prag nach Wien reise, um die Synagoge zu besichtigen. Wir waren sehr überrascht, wie gut er die Sitten und Gebräuche der Juden kannte. Daraufhin sagte er, er sei Referent im Propaganda-Amt und dass er früher in Wien

Text from page3

bei einem sabbathaltenden Kaufmann tätig gewesen sei und sich seit dieser Zeit sehr für jüdische Gebräuche interessiere. Er wollte eine größere Spende der Synagoge zukommen lassen, was ich aber ablehnte mit der Begründung, dass wir die Spenden an die Zentralstelle abführen müssten. Er erklärte uns, dass er trotz seiner Stellung ein Freund der Judentums sei und dass er in seinen Referaten der NSDAP das öfteren darauf hingewiesen hat, dass ein Kampf gegen das Judentum nur in mündlicher Form möglich sei, keineswegs aber mit der Faust. Von dem Zeitpunkt an, da die Deutschen das Faustrecht gegen die Juden anwandten, ist der Krieg verloren. Es tut mir leid, dass ich nicht ernst genommen werde.

13./ Erew Jom Kippur 1941 hat die Leitung der JKG angefragt, ob der Gottesdienst abgehalten werden dürfte. /In Brünn wurden 100 Juden am Erew Jom Kippur verhaftet, nach Mauthausen gebracht und binnen 14 Tagen ermordet./ Selbstredend hat dies die Zentralstelle verboten. Trotzdem wurde täglich morgens und abends nach Ritus der Altneusynagoge gebetet und zwar in den Wohnungen des Oberkantors Hirsch und des Oberrabbiners.

14./ Es war uns möglich, bis zum 1. März 1943 das Judentum des Protektorats mit Mazzot, Wein, Fett, rituell hergestellten Fleischkonserven und Lulav und Etrog zu versorgen. Die Spender waren der Joint, die KG Pressburg, Budapest, Lubotice, und Groß-Wardein.

15./ Am 1. Oktober 1941 wurden sämtliche Synagogen und Schulen gesperrt. Die Einrichtungsgegenstände vom ganzen Protektorat kamen nach Prag wo ein jüdisches Museum errichtet wurde /Auftrag von Rosenberg und Goebbels/.

16./ 12. Jänner 1943. In der Nacht auf Sonntag um 1 h wurde ich von der Polizei geweckt, ich möge sofort zur Altneusynagoge kommen, weil von Innen Lichtschein zu sehen sei. Die Untersuchung ergab, dass die Isolierungsdrähte durch die Feuchtigkeit Schaden erlitten haben und dass sich das Ner Tamid selbst entzündet hatte und die Synagoge ganz eigenartig beleuchtete. Der wachhaltende tschechische Polizeiinspektor klopfte mir auf die Schulter und sagte: Ich gratuliere euch Juden, dies betrachte ich als Symbol, dass Gott euch helfen wird.

Am ersten März 1943 wurde ich in einen Transport nach Theresienstadt eingereiht. Dort arbeitete ich im Rabbinat und in der M – Aktion. Die geraubten Bibliotheken der Rabbinerseminare aus Wien, Amsterdam, Berlin, Warschau, Breslau etc. wurden in Hunderten von Kisten nach Theresienstadt gebracht, dort von Fachreferenten bearbeitet und katalogisiert, weil das Judaistische Institut, Berlin, nach Ausspruch des Leiters Sturmführers Dr. Kellner, keine geeigneten Fachleute zur Verfügung hatte. Unter den vielen Bücherkisten befanden sich auch ca 50. Kisten mit Büchern des Benediktinerklosters St. Ottilien.

Am 27. September 1944 musste ich diese schöne Arbeit verlassen, da ich in einen BirkenauTransport eingereiht wurde.

3Note 3 : Following part is missing in the Czech tramslation:Für die Dokumentationsaktion: Weinberger

Für das Archiv: 17. IX. 1945 Alex. Schmiedt


  • Updated 10 months ago
The Czech lands (Bohemia, Moravia and Czech Silesia) were part of the Habsburg monarchy until the First World War, and of the Czechoslovak Republic between 1918 and 1938. Following the Munich Agreement in September 1938, the territories along the German and Austrian frontier were annexed by Germany (and a small part of Silesia by Poland). Most of these areas were reorganized as the Reichsgau Sudetenland, while areas in the West and South were attached to neighboring German Gaue. After these terr...
This collection originated as a documentation of the persecution and genocide of Jews in the Czech lands excluding the archival materials relating to the history of the Terezín ghetto, which forms a separate collection. The content of the collection comprises originals, copies and transcripts of official documents and personal estates, as well as prints, newspaper clippings, maps, memoirs and a small amount of non-written material. The Documents of Persecution collection is a source of informati...